Sealing up worn 5.3l leading to oil burning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what years that is the case for? My '99 and '00 do not have a PCV valve, but my '02 does. I assumed it was a change that they added one somewhere between those years.

In any case, the baffle can become gummed up same as a PCV valve, restricting flow and increasing crankcase pressure.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New PCV valve is cheap, wouldn't hurt while a mechanic is in there sealing up leaks.
You can also check your old one by shaking it. If the valve inside jiggles the PCV is good.
PCV thingy 12572717 (aka CV948C) considerably reduced oil consumption on my Caprice LT1 wagon and my Caprice 9C1-LT1 sedan.
So far as I'm concerned, open / close type PCV Valves are obsolete.

If my '02 Tahoe uses a PCV Valve, it either is 12572717, or it very soon will be.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you know what years that is the case for? My '99 and '00 do not have a PCV valve, but my '02 does. I assumed it was a change that they added one somewhere between those years.

In any case, the baffle can become gummed up same as a PCV valve, restricting flow and increasing crankcase pressure.

All I can tell you is that my '04 Flex Fuel L59 doesn't have the rattle valve.

OP
OP
S

smb3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! I think I will have the leaks fixed and check the PCV/ baffle unit to see if I should replace it. I'm not sure why my mechanic said what he said, but I've been going to him for years and he has always done a stellar job for a fair price. I get that he's super busy and might rather not do it, I just wish he'd tell me that if that's whats really going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401