Seal/Gasket Between Transfer Case & Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your tranny is likely a 4L60E but this 4L80E video will do.

Thank you very much rockola71! Yes, mine is a 4L60E and this helps a lot. I spent the day chasing a hydraulic press and was grinning bigtime after pressing the bearings out and in on my Transfer Case. I also picked up some seal tools so hopefully I can remove that seal easily. As for installing, I've seen a video or two where the guy is using a piece of pipe or even pvc to set the seal in evenly. VS the videos where some use drift or socket extension and "walk" it in.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much rockola71! Yes, mine is a 4L60E and this helps a lot. I spent the day chasing a hydraulic press and was grinning bigtime after pressing the bearings out and in on my Transfer Case. I also picked up some seal tools so hopefully I can remove that seal easily. As for installing, I've seen a video or two where the guy is using a piece of pipe or even pvc to set the seal in evenly. VS the videos where some use drift or socket extension and "walk" it in.
Or, you can most likely borrow/rent a bearing seal driver kit from one of your local Autozone or equivalent auto parts store.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, you can most likely borrow/rent a bearing seal driver kit from one of your local Autozone or equivalent auto parts store.
Thanks Joseph! I'll have to check that out. That one would require a tube or pipe type driver because the shaft sticks out of the center of it.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, NEED HELP GUYS! When I pulled the Transfer Case a lot of ATF came out right? I'm looking at this shaft that comes out of the transmission and there is NO SEAL. Now I get why the shop used soo much sealant on the adapter! What am I missing? Is there supposed to be a seal there? I really don't know what to do at this point. PLEASE HELP!

20210905_161449.jpg20210905_161300.jpg

SamBurban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Some fluid will come out and is normal. All the transfer cases I've pulled had transmission fluid in that area. I even had a new 4l80e from GM with the same thing. It does not mix into the transfer case. There is a gasket that goes there. GM part number 24245110 or dorman makes a replacement that is cheaper and works just as good. A lot of shops use RTV in between instead which also works just makes it harder to clean up next time you have the tcase out.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some fluid will come out and is normal. All the transfer cases I've pulled had transmission fluid in that area. I even had a new 4l80e from GM with the same thing. It does not mix into the transfer case. There is a gasket that goes there. GM part number 24245110 or dorman makes a replacement that is cheaper and works just as good. A lot of shops use RTV in between instead which also works just makes it harder to clean up next time you have the tcase out.
Thanks for the response SamBurban, don't know why I'm not getting notifications on replies now. But I believe from what I've learned by scouring the internet you are correct. It's a bad design. Is there a drain so it goes back into the transmission pan? Why isn't there a seal there? There's a hole in the shaft.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, NEED HELP GUYS! When I pulled the Transfer Case a lot of ATF came out right? I'm looking at this shaft that comes out of the transmission and there is NO SEAL. Now I get why the shop used soo much sealant on the adapter! What am I missing? Is there supposed to be a seal there? I really don't know what to do at this point. PLEASE HELP!

View attachment 349645View attachment 349644
The rear seal is indeed missing. You can see where the lip of seal rubbed on the shaft and you can see where the metal cup of the seal is walked into the inner diameter of the housing. Somebody ******* up. That is why you have alot of fluid in that adaptor section.