Scrap or sell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ventura139

Reaction score
In a pickle. I have an 01 Yukon Denali 6.0 205k miles. I just put in a new fuel pump and tank last month and literally last week all new brake lines from the abs to the back. (Rust belt). The engine is solid. Always take care of it but my transfer case has been giving me issues for the last few months. Now yesterday my transmission took a complete shit. Won’t go into any gears and even rolls in park. Is it even worth replacing trans and transfer case or should I just sell as is. Or even scrap? How much is scrap going for ?

Thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a pickle. I have an 01 Yukon Denali 6.0 205k miles. I just put in a new fuel pump and tank last month and literally last week all new brake lines from the abs to the back. (Rust belt). The engine is solid. Always take care of it but my transfer case has been giving me issues for the last few months. Now yesterday my transmission took a complete shit. Won’t go into any gears and even rolls in park. Is it even worth replacing trans and transfer case or should I just sell as is. Or even scrap? How much is scrap going for ?

Thanks
Is the body and frame rotten with rust? If not, it's worth it to fix it.

Still sounds like your transfer case and not the transmission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transfer case or transmission could cause this problem. Transfer case has to be pulled then see if output shaft of tranny is locked while in park. (Dont forget to chock the wheels!) If the output shaft of the tranny still turns freely while in park then you have either a busted input or output shaft or a busted weld on the center of your sunshell. If the shaft is locked on the tranny then your problem is in the Tcase. There is no parking gear in the Tcase. Your tranny (Park Pawl) is what locks everything from moving while in park. For this problem to be the Tcase it would have to be a major catstrophic failure internally. One that would expect the case to be torn apart from the carnage.
My bet is the tranny has gone to see the light.
If the sunshell failed then the tranny is going to have to be opened up and while its opened up that far you might as well do a full rebuild. Get an aftermarket replacement sunshell (The Beast Sunshell) or equivalent and it fixes this known GM problem. They run around $100 and normally stocked in most tranny shops. That is how common it is.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transfer case or transmission could cause this problem. Transfer case has to be pulled then see if output shaft of tranny is locked while in park. (Dont forget to chock the wheels!) If the output shaft of the tranny still turns freely while in park then you have either a busted input or output shaft or a busted weld on the center of your sunshell. If the shaft is locked on the tranny then your problem is in the Tcase. There is no parking gear in the Tcase. Your tranny (Park Pawl) is what locks everything from moving while in park. For this problem to be the Tcase it would have to be a major catstrophic failure internally. One that would expect the case to be torn apart from the carnage.
My bet is the tranny has gone to see the light.
If the sunshell failed then the tranny is going to have to be opened up and while its opened up that far you might as well do a full rebuild. Get an aftermarket replacement sunshell (The Beast Sunshell) or equivalent and it fixes this known GM problem. They run around $100 and normally stocked in most tranny shops. That is how common it is.
You got me on this one! I had to Google "Sunshell"... That was a part I have never heard of before in my life. And I have been around a while! Learning new things here every day...

While I recently posted not really being a fan or trusting of buying critical auto parts on Amazon, that Beast Sunshell can be found there for less than $70.

Since the seller for that part listed appears to be the manufacturer, maybe it is worth keeping in mind if needed.

I haven't ever gotten myself into any kind of DIY transmission rebuild. A little out of my comfort zone up to this point and the work I do is on my daily driver, so I can't really take time to futz around on things I have no experience with. If I had a transmission or transfer case issue, I would likely look to to a swap for used or something already remanufactured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh