scpi to mfi conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryank99

Reaction score
i just order a Delphi SCPI to MFI conversion kit today ($214.99 NEW from Amazon). it seems like a straight foward install, the one thing im unsure or and cant find a defintive answer on is...do it need to replace the upper intake gasket and throttlebody gasket?? i've read somewhere that they are reusable rubber gaskets and dont need to be replace unless damaged. i want to make sure i have all the parts in hand when doing the install next week.
also, i was curios on opions about making posting a how to thread when im done. i can take pictures though out the process and post up with descriptions if anyone could find that helpful. let me know what you guys think

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Technically they are reusable but hell it always helps to replace them from age wear and do a thorough cleaning in there because you will probably not be in there again unless something goes wrong. A kit from Felpro includes plenum, TB, spider(already included with conversion kit), distributor(not needed by makes the work easier if you remove it-Not recommend unless you have a scanner that can read GM cam retard) and 2 fuel line to spiders seals(also included and installed). That way you can take your throttle body off and clean it out just don't get any cleaning stuff on the barometric sensor on the back of the plenum.

Fel-Pro MS90269 Plenum Gasket Set

The hardest part of all of this job is getting the plenum off and on again. Lot of stuff in the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
thanks man. i checked out that felpro part number...its under $20, with 203K miles, its definetly worth it to change them out. im not plannin on pulle the distributor after all the $*&! i went thru tryin to get the offset done.

im excited to see what kind of gains/improvements i'll get out of this upgrade....

mdiacont322

Reaction score
I have the swap in my tahoe, didnt really notice any gains or improvements besides it runs a little smoother AND you know there are no poppets to get stuck anymore, which to me is worth some peace of mind.

Also, I highly reccomend changing the plenum gasket. When they are new, they are a bit smaller so you stretch it into the groove, then it contracts and stays in there tight to keep it in the plenum while maneuvering it aroung all the garbage to put it back on. If you use the old one, 9 times out of 10 it will fall out while trying to install the plenum, causing an extreme amount of aggravation, leading to possibly a wrench through your windshield LOL.

Mike

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
got my kit in yesturday and installed it lastnite. WOW, i cant believe what all it did for my truck. so heres a quick list if what i notice immediatly:
smoother, quiter idle
smoother throttle response
faster, more responsive passing power
no more raw fuel smell from exhuast on start up; less exhust fumes overall
no more multiple misfire code(s)
starts on 2-3 compression strokes compared to 3-4 seconds of cranking and then stumbling to a start.

now im just waitin to see an improvement in gas mileage.

all and all it was a straight foward install, just time consuming. from the time i popped open the hood to pulling in the driveway from the test drive, it was roughly 3 hours. COMPLETY worth the $240 (coversion kit, fel pro gasket kit and shipping) spent along with the labor i did.

below are some pics with the upper plenum removed and the stock spider injectors. for those who dont know, the lower intake should be an aluminum finish in color, mine was black due to 204k miles of carbon deposits. needless to say, i have some intense seafoamin to do. in some parts of the lower intake, i scraped about 1/8" - 3/16" of caked up carbon. i cant imagin how my valves looks:jawdrop:

anyway on to the pics:

Attachments

• 32467139535_ORIG.jpg
    32467139535_ORIG.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 256
  • 32466761535_ORIG.jpg
    32466761535_ORIG.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 32467139550_ORIG.jpg
    32467139550_ORIG.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 32466761460_ORIG.jpg
    32466761460_ORIG.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 211

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Looks just like mine. Your valves should be cleaner because by the time you get that far down the fuel is in there doing it detergent cleaning (hope you are using good fuel). The manifold was easy to clean but the plenum? Scrapers, brushes(including motorized)solvents, Dawn and finally Cascade Complete in the dishwasher (Don't knock it really does work) I was finally satisfied.

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
didnt think of the dishwasher method....i use seafoam spray and let it soak for about 10 minutes, scrub it with an old toothbrush, added some elbow grease and ta-da - like new

king_yukon

Reaction score
Doing my spiders tomorrow. I like the dishwasher idea! Gunna try it out. I was thinking of using the old gaskets, like ryan said they are reusable. But bought a new set anyways with the higher mileage what does 30 bucks matter for a good seal and less of a headache.

Im sure my intake plenum will look the same too lol

99_Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just order a Delphi SCPI to MFI conversion kit today ($214.99 NEW from Amazon). it seems like a straight foward install, the one thing im unsure or and cant find a defintive answer on is...do it need to replace the upper intake gasket and throttlebody gasket?? i've read somewhere that they are reusable rubber gaskets and dont need to be replace unless damaged. i want to make sure i have all the parts in hand when doing the install next week.
also, i was curios on opions about making posting a how to thread when im done. i can take pictures though out the process and post up with descriptions if anyone could find that helpful. let me know what you guys think

What is the part number of that kit you got off of amazon?