Safety Lock Won't Turn Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s bad enough but to not have a mechanical safety option is just wrong. Sounds like locked is the default so if I’m riding with Wes and he wrecks I can’t get out?

Im wrong, there are 2 switches on my 19 one for doors and one for locks, i was in the 13 when i was posting.... my fault on misinformation........but def no mechanical switch on the rear doors.... and it’s off by default, you have to physically push the buttons to set the window and door child lock.

Technically tho, if you are riding with Wes @Doubeleive in his denali with the mechanical child lock out feature on the door, and he does wreck, which there is a very good chance of that happening .....:), you still can’t get out because there is no way to get to that switch....however in the late model version of this story, i can always hit the button to let you out, if i still have my hand because Wes turned the volume all the way up and the sunroof was open and we were fist pumping when we wrecked and my hand was ripped off...:)
8E4814E0-B218-4696-B7EA-ECC7E27907D6.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s bad enough but to not have a mechanical safety option is just wrong. Sounds like locked is the default so if I’m riding with Wes and he wrecks I can’t get out?
just wear your seat belt and you'll be fine, i'm a pro either we make it completely unscathed or we roll a few times :thumbsup:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all I can say is if we flip "duck" because my subwoofer box is a flying weapon, when I flipped my 4runner (end-over-end, not sideways) luckily my sub box went out the back window

OP
OP
M

MrScrewzloose

Reaction score
yea, I'm was going to check the switch, just looking for repair manual for 2016 Tahoe that details the removal process. It's a bit more complicated of a mechanism then I thought...

Child Security Lockout System Operation

The child door lockout switch on the driver window switch controls the child locks on the rear doors. The lockout switch is an input to the body control module and the body control module controls the door lock security relay. When the body control module receives a command from the child door lockout switch, it will apply voltage to the child security lock disable relay coil, this will energize the relay and the contact within the relay will then direct the voltage to activate the left rear and right rear child locks and then isolate them from the normal door lock system to prevent the rear doors from being opened by using the interior rear door handles. An indicator will also illuminate to alert the driver that the child lockout system has been activated. Pushing the switch again will return normal function to the rear interior door handles and the indicator will go out.

The body control module monitors the voltage level of the child security motor status signal circuit, when the child locks have been activated, the contacts of the child security motor status switch (internal to the rear door latch) will close providing a ground path for the signal circuit pulling the voltage low. It is in this manner that the body control module is able to determine if the rear door latch has been successfully been locked out.

The body control module monitors the status of the child security lockout system, when the body control module detects a fault in the system, it will command the child lockout indicator to flash ON and OFF for 30 seconds to alert the driver that the child security lockout system may not be functioning properly.

The body control module will command the child lockout indicator to flash ON and OFF for the following reasons:

An open/high resistance in either child security motor status signal circuit
The body control module detects that one or both rear door latches have not activated and are not locked out
The body control module detects a short to ground or an open/high resistance in the child security lock disable relay control circuit A malfunctioning child security lock disable relay
An open/high resistance in the child security lock motor control circuit

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrScrewzloose

Reaction score
Doesn't look like it's a simply button replacement, the button is a simple switch which leaves me to believe the issue is further down the line and perhaps somewhere within the control module... which stink because the control module is money. Pretty crappy design that if the electrical system that controls the locking mechanism fails, it doesn't fail open or allow for a mechanical override. Wasn't an issue when my kids were a couple years younger...

IMG_1569.jpg

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your truck have a multi function screen (nav/radio)? I saw a video where they talked about going to settings then vehicle then locks but I lost it right there. Any of that make sense? If so the owners manual probably has all steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
99TahoeTruckster

Latest posts