S.O.S Oil question!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jakcol997

Reaction score
Hey guys! Just did an oil change of my 99 Yukon 4wd, last time I got it changed was January 29th. The guy said 3,000 or 6 months, and I barely went over 3k from then, but only 2.5 qts came out of my oil pan today.. it looked wet on the end of the oil pan towards the rear end. Could that realistically be my oil pan gasket? Or could it be something else? I’ve been chasing a coolant leak/burn, but haven’t been able to find anything without having to tear my engine apart (can’t really do that, cause I live and work at the apartment complex I’m at) I can get pics if needed to help! I’m just at a loss, and I don’t know what the hell im doing ‍♂️ Anything is appreciated at this point!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just did an oil change of my 99 Yukon 4wd, last time I got it changed was January 29th. The guy said 3,000 or 6 months, and I barely went over 3k from then, but only 2.5 qts came out of my oil pan today.. it looked wet on the end of the oil pan towards the rear end. Could that realistically be my oil pan gasket? Or could it be something else? I’ve been chasing a coolant leak/burn, but haven’t been able to find anything without having to tear my engine apart (can’t really do that, cause I live and work at the apartment complex I’m at) I can get pics if needed to help! I’m just at a loss, and I don’t know what the hell im doing ‍♂️ Anything is appreciated at this point!

How often do you check the oil level with the dipstick? That should give you a much better and timely visual on your oil consumption vs how much comes out of the pan when you change it. That being said, that 2.5 qt, does it include what came out with the oil filter?

Might pull and check your plugs as you may be burning some oil. If you’re not seeing oil spots on the driveway or garage floor, I would suspect more of a burning oil situation than a leaking seal, but that can contribute for sure.

One thing you can do is put a white paper towel or cloth at the exhaust pipe With the engine running and see if you see oil spots show up, particularly if someone is giving it some gas.

OP
OP
jakcol997

jakcol997

Reaction score
How often do you check the oil level with the dipstick? That should give you a much better and timely visual on your oil consumption vs how much comes out of the pan when you change it. That being said, that 2.5 qt, does it include what came out with the oil filter?

Might pull and check your plugs as you may be burning some oil. If you’re not seeing oil spots on the driveway or garage floor, I would suspect more of a burning oil situation than a leaking seal, but that can contribute for sure.

One thing you can do is put a white paper towel or cloth at the exhaust pipe With the engine running and see if you see oil spots show up, particularly if someone is giving it some gas.
I’ll give that a try!

OP
OP
jakcol997

jakcol997

Reaction score
2.5 qts... that thing should be clickin, clackin and knockin..... just sayin
See that’s what I thought, as well. But when I filled the bottle back up with the old stuff, that’s all that measured..

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you are really lucky, no damage done. If it hurt the motor someone may rename your moniker to "dipstick".

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
@CHOO CHOO Your turn to teach about checking the dip stick :p:p
I got scolded by the entire forum for never checking my dipstick. Depending on how much you drive, I'd check it every week or two just for peace of mind. But if you lost that much oil, I'd think you would notice spots where you park. That's a lot to burn off, in my 07, I lose about 2qt around 4k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442