Rust along the top of windshield on 97 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some rust along the top of my windshield on the passenger side. It was bad enough looking that a couple of shops wouldn't try to replace my windshield (giant crack) but I took I told one I didn't want guarantees, just a new windshield. Anyway, he said it looked worse than it was and now I have a new windshield but I still have the rust up there, which I don't expect to get better.

So now I'd like to put something on it/over it to at least slow down the exposure without doing major surgery or anything. I mean it wouldn't look great but I could just put duct tape across it (it's not across the whole top). Or is there some kind of caulk or something that I could use? Or any other suggestions?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pics would be beneficial but the only real solution is to fix the rust. No real way to "slow it down" any. I had a 98 GMT400 do the same thing and I had a shop fix the rust before it got worse.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that - meant to grab a pic initially and didn't. The marks there are from duct tape I put there until I could get the windshield replaced. I know I can't stop it. I'd just like to slow it down and maybe keep the extra water off of it.

20211215_101014.jpg

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See that other spot near the middle? I’d bet if you took that windshield out you’d find out that most of that top sill at the roof line is rotten. There is no slowing that down. It needs to be fixed correctly

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See that other spot near the middle? I’d bet if you took that windshield out you’d find out that most of that top sill at the roof line is rotten. There is no slowing that down. It needs to be fixed correctly
Well, I just had the windshield replaced last week and they said it wasn't as bad as it looks. But what does "fixed correctly" mean?

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed correctly would require pulling the windshield. Need to sandblast or at the least grind the rust out. Then neutralize it then prime and paint.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fixed correctly would require pulling the windshield. Need to sandblast or at the least grind the rust out. Then neutralize it then prime and paint.
Just based on the one picture it might also require some metal to be cut out and new put in. I'm basing these opinions on having the same issue that I had on a 98 Silverado a few years back. To fix the rust they essentially had to cut out the rust and replace it with good metal.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to find someone to do that work (I can't do it). How much would something like that cost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT