Running Hot In Snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sennister

Reaction score
Last Thursday night we were driving to Milwaukee for a wedding. It started out as rain but at around midnight it transitioned to sleet and then snow. None of the roads were being plowed and we were in lots of semi traffic. Eventually snow started dropping off the semi in front of us as it built up and one very large chunk (2'x2'x3') fell off which we hit at about 45. A little later I noticed the outside air temp indicating 40s then 50s. I knew that was impossible based on how hard it was snowing. Look at the coolant gauge and it has climbed from the normal 210 to 235. Cycled through the Driver Info Center to pull up transmission temp and it was reading 220. I cranked the heater to high and cracked the windows so we didn't roast. We were in the middle of no where so we kept going. There were no warning lights at this point so continued to monitor. Eventually I called OnStar asking where the nearest dealer was in the event there was some damage from the large chunk of snow we hit. Coolant temps were fluctuating between 210-235 as were transmission temps. OnStar said nearest dealer was 56 miles south west. We were going south east. While I knew they wouldn't be open at 1am at least we could hit a hotel nearby. I asked about Wisconsin Dells as it should be big enough for a dealer and wasn't out of our way and we could stay on the interstate. By now lots of vehicles in the ditch and if we needed it a tow should things get worse it would be a long wait. Wisc Dells was 68 miles but the right way and no warnings so we kept going. As we got to Dells the temps were rising and snow transitioning back to rain. We pull into the hotel and take a look at the truck. Then entire grill area was blocked off from being iced over. The lower air openings on either side of the license plate was packed with snow from the chunk we hit. Since temps were over 32 we just knocked off what I could and let it sit till morning. Checked all fluid levels and everything looked good.

So my questions. Those with the Denali grill, is this prone to icing up in freezing rain/sleet/snow? Never had an issue on my GMT805 Avalanche. I suspect the transmission was being heated up by the transmission cooler's being so close to the hot radiator. I don't like the transmission running that hot but I am due for a fluid flush any how. Just turned 100K on it. Once I get the Corvette off the 4 post lift I will put the Denali up there and get that done. Anyone else have any issues in crappy weather like this?

MudnRox

Rebel without a clue
Reaction score
I have not experienced it with these vehicles but I have seen where ice and snow have clogged up grill openings enough to limit airflow the the radiator. Even freezing spray from vehicles in front of you can build up over time and cause issues although rare.

And always clean headlights when cleaning windshields during gas stops in winter months.

OP
OP
S

sennister

Reaction score
Yeah we do clean it off when stopping but when on a road trip, I don't want to stop all the time. It is different if just running around town. I was just wondering if the Denali grill being flat with holes is more prone to icing up. While that could be cleaned, there was no cleaning the snow that got packed in the lower grill area.

I am just glad that we didn't take the Jetta. It is pretty common to hit stuff like that and crack the aluminum oil pan.

The next day everything was fine the rest of the way there and back.

cav01c14

Reaction score
Sometimes it's just the way the weather is. Managed to ice up the brights and the grillon my pops suburban. The regular headlights put off enough heat to melt the freezing rain snow $&!@. Just my .02 as I've had similar ice issues but never dealt with the heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14