Running board issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenW

Reaction score
2015 Yukon XL Denali with retractable running boards - that aren’t always retracting. Under extended warranty so it will get fixed but curious how many experiencing it and what the fixes have been.

*Yes I understand the ultimate fix to never have gotten them, the ole “if it moves it can break” but let’s operate under the idea that that wasn’t an option.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many times does during the day or during the weekend or maybe one time a month.
Curious cuz I never hear anyone complain about maybe someone hit a high curb and you don't know,how many people drive the car. [emoji849]
2015 Yukon XL Denali with retractable running boards - that aren’t always retracting. Under extended warranty so it will get fixed but curious how many experiencing it and what the fixes have been.

*Yes I understand the ultimate fix to never have gotten them, the ole “if it moves it can break” but let’s operate under the idea that that wasn’t an option.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

StephenW

Reaction score
How many times does during the day or during the weekend or maybe one time a month.
Curious cuz I never hear anyone complain about maybe someone hit a high curb and you don't know,how many people drive the car. [emoji849]

Just my wife and I. Seems to be getting more and more frequent. Shut the door and you hear the board retract, then go back out, and try again. Ends up staying extended.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like is the door switch is a normal thing switch goes bad easy.
Just my wife and I. Seems to be getting more and more frequent. Shut the door and you hear the board retract, then go back out, and try again. Ends up staying extended.

OP
OP
S

StephenW

Reaction score
Looks like is the door switch is a normal thing switch goes bad easy.

Fair point.

But if it was the switch I would expect other indications - door open on the DIC.

I would expect the door switch to do multiple functions, not multiple switches doing one function each.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The threads in the past stated they just needed a good spray lube applied at least 1x a year.

OP
OP
S

StephenW

Reaction score
The threads in the past stated they just needed a good spray lube applied at least 1x a year.

Good to know. Coming due for an oil change so will lump it all together.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
‘15 XL Denali owner here. I experienced similar issue with the retarcatable steps that you describe. Very intermittent and not consistent at all. Sometimes would go weeks with normal operation, then it would occur.

My last oil change I mentioned it to them, they libricated all the moving “pivot” points (free of charge) and they’ve operated normal without issue ever sense.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a subscription to AllDataDIY for your truck and purchase the same equipment the GM Techs use to work on these, the MDI or MDI2 and GDS2 software which work with your laptop. Then you can see any internal BCM codes/data related to this and have the manual to show you how to service, diagnose and repair it.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been on here a few years and honestly I never hear of anyone complain about their running boards. I have had three sets and never had an issue. I will have to start lubricating mine once a year as recommended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01