Running Board Elimination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R Black

Reaction score
I know very little about these 2015-2020 Tahoes but I know I'm not fond of the running boards. They hang about 1/4-1/2 lower than the bottom of the frame rails. They look to serve as protection for the rockers off road but it would be sacrificial and they are more of a hindrance, as, if you are driving correctly off-road you are putting your tires on the highest spots (sometimes rocks) anyway which means coming off them, those boards will get hit.

Eliminating them entirely is out of the question as they also serve to protect the gap between the lower door edge and the inside vertical sill portion of the rocker on the side body stamping where the outer most lower seal fills that gap, so something needs to protect that gap from tire spray and debris.

I found a picture that makes me think the full boards were not always std. on this gen of Tahoe. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know the part numbers for this earlier trim? I scoured the internet and came up with nothing.

Here's the picture of a Tahoe with what looks like std non-running board trim.

maxresdefault.jpg

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The running boards on that white Tahoe are the factory optioned power retractable running boards.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUT were not offered with the 6.2 for some very stupid reason

I think you're referring to the RST trim; Which the power retractable running boards were not offered as an option on the RST trim Tahoes/Suburbans, and I agree very stupid not to. Especially on the RST trim because I've always felt the power retractable running boards were a sleeker sportier look, seems they would compliment the RST nicely.

That being said you can get a Tahoe Premier with power retractable running boards AND the 6.2/10 speed drivetrain.

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run with running boards removed for clearance (275/65/20's and 2" level helps) and installed some mud flaps (may eliminate/mitigate splash, although I had never been concerned with or considered the gap O.P. speaks of).
BTW, the Redhound mud guards are REALLY a quality product - fit and finish is spot-on.

New Tahoe side view.jpeg

Last edited:

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate my running boards on my Denali. They’re starting to turn gray... would love some retractable ones though

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate my running boards on my Denali. They’re starting to turn gray... would love some retractable ones though
If they are the black plastic ones like mine I've been using some cheap, Eagle One I think, bumper gel. Brings them back to black and lasts for a while. Bit greasy and slippery though.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are the black plastic ones like mine I've been using some cheap, Eagle One I think, bumper gel. Brings them back to black and lasts for a while. Bit greasy and slippery though.
Good my wife will fall out the truck. Whoops lol

I don’t think I actually use them but I’ll notice after I grease them. Thanks for the advice

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tried it. They’re not coming back. They’re pretty damn gray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop

Latest posts