Rubbing in the steering wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this, I can hear it when turning the wheel. Could this be the clock spring going bad?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Just saw a YouTube video on this. If this is what you’ve got going on your steering shaft is hanging up on the boot that surrounds it going through the firewall. The dude in the video lubed it w/ wd40 but not sure if petroleum products will eat up the boot.

Try silicone lube on boot from exterior of steering shaft boot. Never a good idea to spray aerosols into the underdash like that dude did unless 100% necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this, I can hear it when turning the wheel. Could this be the clock spring going bad?

I have noticed my avalanche doing this. Slight noise that sounds like something rubbing when turning the wheel. Did this resolve your noise?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I have everything off I can hear some light steering wheel noise when I first start down the road but then it seems to go away, kind of weird.

OP
OP
02Lightning

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed my avalanche doing this. Slight noise that sounds like something rubbing when turning the wheel. Did this resolve your noise?
It did not resolve my noise. If I put my ear up to it, the noise is up at the steering wheel.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It did not resolve my noise. If I put my ear up to it, the noise is up at the steering wheel.

Exactly how mine sounds. Its been doing it for about 6 months. I rarely drive and the wife doesn't complain so I forget to look into it. Maybe i'll do some investigating the weekend.