RST Premier Tahoe vs Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '10 Esky with 22's and 135k rides good.

Magnetic ride control and air ride suspension helps. If you don't have that w/22's I could see how it might be a little rough. However, I thought all of the GM full size trucks with 22's had basically the same system. If you're complaining that it's rough I might question if those 22's are original equipment.. dealers will sometimes swap those out on the lot because people like the look of 22's better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The MRC makes it WORSE. Much worse.

Unless you have an Escalade and can put it to the soft setting.

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No such thing as "soft" setting on my rig. Maybe if it's malfunctioning or something like that.

We can agree to disagree.. I'm cool with that.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No such thing as "soft" setting on my rig. Maybe if it's malfunctioning or something like that.

We can agree to disagree.. I'm cool with that.

You talking this gen or last?

Have you driven a 2015+ non MRC with 22’s compared to a 2015+ MRC for any period of time? It’s markedly softer than any MRC setting.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, exactly. My Escalade with 22inch wheels is super smooth with a perfect ride, all the time. And it’s still sporty and can handle sharp turns like a champ. I’m impressed all the time at how well the MRC knows when to smooth out bumps vs. when to hold the vehicle in place during a sharp turn or sudden acceleration for example.

Escalade MRC has 3 settings, the normal/default is the softer setting called “touring”, that’s the one I use and it’s awesome. The “sport” makes the ride really rough on any surface that is not perfectly smooth. I rarely use it as you feel every imperfection. Then there is “snow/ice” which can be used in addition to (or without) the 4wd system for better control and feel in those conditions.

My suspicion is that the Denali MRC is equivalent to or very close to the Esky’s “Sport” setting.

I’ve always wondering if Denali’s could get an “MRC tune” in order to get the Esky MRC settings. I believe it’s all software which would make a tune/reprogram possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, exactly. My Escalade with 22inch wheels is super smooth with a perfect ride, all the time. And it’s still sporty and can handle sharp turns like a champ. I’m impressed all the time at how well the MRC knows when to smooth out bumps vs. when to hold the vehicle in place during a sharp turn or sudden acceleration for example.

Escalade MRC has 3 settings, the normal/default is the softer setting called “touring”, that’s the one I use and it’s awesome. The “sport” makes the ride really rough on any surface that is not perfectly smooth. I rarely use it as you feel every imperfection. Then there is “snow/ice” which can be used in addition to (or without) the 4wd system for better control and feel in those conditions.

My suspicion is that the Denali MRC is equivalent to or very close to the Esky’s “Sport” setting.

I’ve always wondering if Denali’s could get an “MRC tune” in order to get the Esky MRC settings. I believe it’s all software which would make a tune/reprogram possible.

Bingo.

Chris T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 2016 Denail with 20" wheels and obviously MRC. I HATED the ride, way too stiff, like steel bars instead of shocks. If the Tahoe doesn't have that, I would go that route. Are prices about the same?

OP
OP
N

NoLand

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 2016 Denail with 20" wheels and obviously MRC. I HATED the ride, way too stiff, like steel bars instead of shocks. If the Tahoe doesn't have that, I would go that route. Are prices about the same?
Surprisingly, I’m generally finding better deals on Denali’s right now. It almost seems like dealers are considering the RST Tahoe’s a special, limited release model or something based on the discounts they’re offering (or lack thereof).

I keep going back and forth between the 2. There is a dark blue color that I can get on the Denali that looks amazing, but the RST Tahoe’s only come in white, black, gray, or silver. But the RST also looks a little more “custom” and I’m wondering if I’d be less likely to try and mod the Tahoe (which would make my wife happy).

Thanks for the feedback on the 20’s vs 22’s. Honestly, it’s tough to find Denali’s with 20’s. I’ve test driven a Denali with 20’s and a RST Suburban with 22’s and honestly didn’t notice a worse ride in the Suburban, but that could have also been the longer wheelbase.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Just some tidbits here for ride quality. Depending on how the road is put together, a longer wheelbase (LWB) will tune out a lot of the chop in the ride. Here in CA where we have a lot of grooved, concrete highways made in 25ft seamed sections, some short wheel base (SWB) SUV are literally rocked back and forth around the posted speed limit. That is exactly what occurs with the SWB GM trucks and SUV here in CA.

Secondly, there are batches of tires sold as sale items that are factory blems. These require a huge amount of balance weight and always susceptible to tire hop the moment they go out of round. They must be road force balanced each time to cure the issue.

The bagged vehicles (MRC) are always going to give a better ride as long as the they’re air’d up. The new MRC vehicles with the computer feedback in the suspension will ride even better. There will always be differences in the same set ups but they can’t be effectively discussed without an[emoji519] to [emoji519] road condition comparison.

The MRC will provide its excellent ride, consistently, until a bag fails. The standard suspension or an upgraded strut standard suspension will run circles around a standard MRC vehicle when new. It will slowly fail to subprime and will continue to operate that way, sometimes unnoticed.

The lower sidewall height of the 22’s tolerates fewer road and tire out of round inconsistencies. When 22’s are installed and managed with the correct MRC software, on balanced rims and tires, the road feel and ride are unmatched. Undiagnosed 20 & 22” poor ride situations are just that, undiagnosed. Removing the offending rim/tire is the only answer sometimes if there’s no available solution. You gotta move away from a poor ride no matter what.

It is possible to have the same vehicles perform subpar on one road and phenomenal, at different speeds, on another. It doesn’t mean they’re aren’t any issues that need attention, it’s the same ol story that newer technology initially requires a larger knowledge base until said technology is mainstreamed into commonplace.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Yukon denali and I'm not 100% if I had to do it again, that I wouldn't get the XL model. I preferred the looks of the short body but after having it, you realize how little space you have for cargo. I don't have any kids so its just me and the wife, but I would strongly think on the XL next round. Thats just my two pennies.

Disclaimer, I'll never like the "school bus" look of the XL so that was main factor in purchasing. Looks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505