Rough idle / pouring smoke / misfire problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HighestStorm

HighestStorm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's a link to a video I found on YouTube of another person troubleshooting what maybe the same issue as me if you have the time to look at this video and have experienced this issue please let me know.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like some basic tests would help narrow down the cause. A vacuum test, checking the IAC (Idle Air Control) function as @swathdiver mentioned, clean the throttle body, and make sure that the fuel rails are both properly grounded. Need to put an advanced scan tool on it to see what, if any, other codes might be generated.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...the only time that it runs like this it seems like at least is whenever it's either low on gas or it started on a steep hill. At least that's how it seems because if I started with at least a half a tank of gas not on a hill it runs fine but if there's a quarter tank of gas or less and it started on a hill that's when the problems occur.
That's almost always a fuel pump problem. You have several unrelated issues going on at once, they are not all interwoven.

You need access to a bi-directional scan tool, not a code reader but something akin to a Tech-2.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smells like gas and white smoke...You are running rich. That rules out anything to do with knock sensors, starter and flexplate. Flashing check engine light is a warning of active detonation (spark preignition/ aka spark knock). 2 things I would look for while troubleshooting this. The easy one is first. Look for missing spark. Id check the spark plug wire and its coil at #7 which is the one you said was fouled. Turn the lights out (GO outside at night) and raise hood and start engine. See if you see any flashes of light around spark plug wires and ignition coils. Listen for a snapping noise which may also sound alot like a tick. A cracked igniton coil or bad spark plug wire (cracked, broken off) will cause the symptom you have. Second thing to check is the Bank 1 and 2 Pre cat O2 sensors. Compare them and see if they are similar in value AND switching values. They will immediately start showing readings once engine is started. Their values are ignored until engine is in closed loop. Third is a bad fuel injector or its associated wiring. It would be sticking open intermittently or possibly all the time. Check your oil dipstick for smell of gas in your oil. Change oil if you smell gas in it!

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a flex fuel vehicle. What is the 8th digit of the vin number? If the fuel compensation sensor is bad and thinking you are running e85 when you have regular fuel in there, it will cause issues. Way too much fuel and it will advance the timing too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9