Rough Idle in Rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving home a few days ago in some rain, and when I came to a stop, I noticed that my Tahoe was idling a little rough. When I let off the brake to just idle up in traffic, the truck was jumping. Like it wasn't firing right or something? Either way, it did it the entire time it was raining. Never really noticed any difference while I was actually driving, just when I was idling in traffic. Truck was moving, but no throttle. Just idling in Drive.

Any ideas on what this could be? Bad wires? Coil?

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would be leaning toward something loose as opposed to bad. A loose electrical connector or plug wire allowing water to splash into it during wet surface driving? Have you driven it today and it was fine? No codes, I assume?

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would be leaning toward something loose as opposed to bad. A loose electrical connector or plug wire allowing water to splash into it during wet surface driving? Have you driven it today and it was fine? No codes, I assume?
It only did it in the rain. If it is not raining, then I have no issues. No codes either. I have had a code in the past (not during the time of the issue) for a knock sensor.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your knock sensor (and other engine-related sensors) would be excellent places to start. I would get a tube of dialectric grease to put into the connectors before snapping them back together. This should help displace any water getting into the connector in the future.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your knock sensor (and other engine-related sensors) would be excellent places to start. I would get a tube of dialectric grease to put into the connectors before snapping them back together. This should help displace any water getting into the connector in the future.
I have been trying to put off the knock sensors since I have to remove the intake. But, I guess I will have to do that sooner than later. I will probably start with dielectric grease on all spark plugs and wires. Probably go ahead and replace them with new.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to put off the knock sensors since I have to remove the intake. But, I guess I will have to do that sooner than later. I will probably start with dielectric grease on all spark plugs and wires. Probably go ahead and replace them with new.

It's really unfortunate that you're not tripping a code... It's a bit of a wild goose chase at this point. You could always start with the sensors that are easier to reach... Unplug them, inspect them for cracks and/or corrosion, squirt a bit of grease in them, and click them back together.

Like I said, since it only happens when in the vicinitity of water, I would be looking more into a loose connector rather than an actual bad part (of course, it's possible the water has caused corrosion on the part's wiring or the connector's wiring).

Good luck hunting it down! We've had plenty of rain here in the SE US this summer, so no doubt this is a frequent issue for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really unfortunate that you're not tripping a code... It's a bit of a wild goose chase at this point. You could always start with the sensors that are easier to reach... Unplug them, inspect them for cracks and/or corrosion, squirt a bit of grease in them, and click them back together.

Like I said, since it only happens when in the vicinitity of water, I would be looking more into a loose connector rather than an actual bad part (of course, it's possible the water has caused corrosion on the part's wiring or the connector's wiring).

Good luck hunting it down! We've had plenty of rain here in the SE US this summer, so no dount this is a frequesnt issue for you.
Yeah, I am here in GA and it has pretty much been rain on a daily basis. Thanks for the help!

Maxclass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2004 Tahoe Z71 flex fuel has the exact same symptom: rough idle in the rain (including car wash). Although it is throwing a P0300 Code. Did you ever find a solution? I replaced my spark plugs since then, so I know it's not those. P0300 code pulls multiple causes. Hard to pinpoint.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2004 Tahoe Z71 flex fuel has the exact same symptom: rough idle in the rain (including car wash). Although it is throwing a P0300 Code. Did you ever find a solution? I replaced my spark plugs since then, so I know it's not those. P0300 code pulls multiple causes. Hard to pinpoint.
I never actually found a solution. I actually ended up selling the Tahoe not too long ago. it happened so rarely, that it was not at the top of my list at the time. It really didn't even do it every time that it rained. Makes me think even more that it was a loose connection somewhere.

Hope you can find the issue with yours!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts