Roof rail tie down adapters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you tie to the side rails? You can’t go under over or through them...The crossmembers are like Teflon and your only option is to tie in an X pattern (left front to back right as an example) and they will still slip.

I don't think you can tie to those Denali side rails. Have to tie to the cross rails and if you know your knots, they won't slip.

What's the OP trying to secure up there anyway? Going over and around the load in an X pattern is going to help keep the tie down in place as well.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a 2015+....right?

Can you be a little more specific on where to place the rope around the rail?

Oh almost forgot ‘lol’

686cb83cc53613a00b2280391a41bf9d.jpg
well in that case if it has sliding rails then you could use this, my 2012 is pretty much the same design but mine has holes at each corner built on to the cross rail, there are baskets that can be had for under $100 also

RING.jpg

Yosh53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the dealer install GM OEM cross rails on my 2018 Denali and noticed that there are no tie down places on either the cross rail or the side rails. How do you secure items on the roof rack without places for tie down straps? Are there tie down adapters that go on either the side or cross rails?

Yosh53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On the inside of the side rails there are alternate crossrail positions. You can attach some metal loops at these positions. You may also need to by the bolts that fit the threads. Buy stainless steel.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a set for sale last night on CL and it looked to me there was a loop at the forward end of each cross rail.
Not on the ones I have. Maybe those were aftermarket?
I, too, thought about the alternate bolt holes on the side rails. To me, the whole setup is not very beefy (good enough for 2 kayaks but not going to be hauling 10 sheets of plywood up there). So, I use the cross rail and loop around that. If that goes at least it won't tear off the side rails.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not on the ones I have. Maybe those were aftermarket?
I, too, thought about the alternate bolt holes on the side rails. To me, the whole setup is not very beefy (good enough for 2 kayaks but not going to be hauling 10 sheets of plywood up there). So, I use the cross rail and loop around that. If that goes at least it won't tear off the side rails.

They were advertised as OE but the ad is gone now. They're not going to be too beefy, the weight limit is 220 pounds up there. That's directly on the roof, not on the cross bars, they are to serve as front and back for the whatever is put up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe