Roof rail tie down adapters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpcortese

Reaction score
I had the dealer install GM OEM cross rails on my 2018 Denali and noticed that there are no tie down places on either the cross rail or the side rails. How do you secure items on the roof rack without places for tie down straps? Are there tie down adapters that go on either the side or cross rails?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the dealer install GM OEM cross rails on my 2018 Denali and noticed that there are no tie down places on either the cross rail or the side rails. How do you secure items on the roof rack without places for tie down straps? Are there tie down adapters that go on either the side or cross rails?

Well, we use the side and cross rails to secure loads where the two meet. Check out etrailer and see what they suggest.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It’s indeed annoying that there isn’t even a hole in the ends to tie off on.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How? There’s no hook or hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol, seriously? you just tie around the cross member and rail where they meet, although I did get asked once what the "D" stood for by a grown man with a wife and 3 kids and a really cute chick once asked me how to put air in a tire (that one was allowable though) lol. :D

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How? There’s no hook or hole?

Well, if you're ends have a hook, you can either try to have the hook grab the croosrail or run the strap under the crossrail or side and then grab the strap with the hook.

Mine have a place on the side of the cross rail to do as you're wanting to do. All we ever put up there anyway are Christmas trees. If going on long trips we the extras in a trailer or basket attached to the hitch, more fuel efficient that way.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, seriously? you just tie around the cross member and rail where they meet, although I did get asked once what the "D" stood for by a grown man with a wife and 3 kids and a really cute chick once asked me how to put air in a tire (that one was allowable though) lol. :D

You have a 2015+....right?

Can you be a little more specific on where to place the rope around the rail?

Oh almost forgot ‘lol’

686cb83cc53613a00b2280391a41bf9d.jpg

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine have a place on the side of the cross rail to do as you're wanting to do.

As did my old Tahoe. The new gen doesn’t and the crossmember is like sloped Teflon making side to side tie downs very tough.

The front/back rails have nothing to tie to.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You tie off to the rails themselves. Does not matter if the end is flat or has a hook or a loop.

How do you tie to the side rails? You can’t go under over or through them...The crossmembers are like Teflon and your only option is to tie in an X pattern (left front to back right as an example) and they will still slip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3