Roof rack with ladder 99 2 dr Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baylee Brown

Reaction score
IMG_3753.JPG IMG_3754.JPG IMG_3756.JPG IMG_3757.JPG IMG_3764.JPG Looking for pictures. I have a roof rack and would like to make a ladder for it. I have a 99 2 dr Tahoe with tailgate and rear hatch. I'm thinking I'll have to mount it on the side. Any suggestions and/or pictures IMG_3753.JPGIMG_3754.JPGIMG_3756.JPGIMG_3757.JPG

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a ladder mounted on one. I think you would have major issues supporting the weight of someone on a ladder without a lot of internal bracing in the rear quarters and then it would need some point of attachment on the roof too. As for mounting on the rear I don't think that would work either. Get one of those foldup step stools and keep it in the back !

LTG515

Reaction score
Hey there.

Any progress on finding a ladder solution? I know this thread is a little old, but I’m also looking for a rear ladder solution for my 04 Tahoe Z71 to better access the roof rack. It’s the lift gate style and I see a lot of 4runners use them so it makes me think it’s possible. Since you have the tailgate/glass hatch combo, that makes a rear mount seem a little more difficult.

Let me know what you’ve made work if anything.

Best

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Doesn't Weather Tech make receiver mount steps for something like this? I did work in the RV field at one time as a service manager and know that RV's that had ladders were built with unseen support where the outside ladder would be attached.

LTG515

Reaction score
They do, but from what I’ve seen, since it goes into the hitch, it’s even lower than just stepping up on the bumper. There’s plenty of aftermarket support for ladders being added to 4Runner liftgates with no internal support, so I’d be pretty confident that the liftgate would support the weight. I think... haha. If doing a custom DIY job, I think it would require drilling/attaching at the bottom of the hatch, and then trying to figure out what to do about the top half since it’s glass. That would be the difficult part I think.

I’ve been in the process of building my Tahoe up a little, so if I ever get around to making a ladder, I’ll post it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can mount the step on a drop hitch that slides in the receiver and I think they can be as much as 8" drop and then flip the hitch over where the drop is actually sticking up and the step would be higher than the bumper. I think they even make a hitch that is a drop but it is also hollow on the end that is a 1" receiver where you can slide another step in there and have 2 steps up instead of just the one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt