Roof rack for transportation of canoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M123

Viking
Reaction score
Hi.

Have a big canoe and trying finding some rack and method to get it up on my truck by myself. Have kids but they are to small to help and the canoe are on a regular car hard to get up on the roof. Not just for the wight, it's so wide that every force are focus the grip around it. I haven't figured out how to get it up on my Tahoe so haven't yet even tryed lift the canoe up there, don't want to ding my truck.

I am trying finding out some rack that works well. Did find a company on YouTube that have a rack you can lowering and crank down but it's a concept and they sell it limited and don't answering when I did contact.

My canoe are a https://linder.se/batar/kanoter/inkas-525

Do the forum have any suggestions how I should work this out? I really want out and paddling. :)

Thanks. :)

Edit:
The canoe are 5250 mm (206 11/16 in) long and are 900 mm (35 7/16 in) wide and wight 38kg (83lb).

Last edited:

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
On my NBS suburban the back bar on my roof rack was a roller that turned. I could place one end of something long on it and then pick up the other end and roll it up. Could that work?

OP
OP
M123

M123

Viking
Reaction score
On my NBS suburban the back bar on my roof rack was a roller that turned. I could place one end of something long on it and then pick up the other end and roll it up. Could that work?

That was a z71 rack

It was a Z71. I didn’t know if that rack was unique to the Z71

Thanks guys.

Have hade my eyes on the Z71 rack also but that have more fastening points then my rack.
Could surely add some holes and insert now I don't know your name for the popnuts with internal threads, we call them (Blindnitmutter) and if I translate that it will be blind-rivet-nut. :D
Anyway that would work but find a Z71 rack here will be as easy as finding gold on my lawn.

The rack from the YouTube did look like this and hope finding something like that.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always called them rivnuts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M123

M123

Viking
Reaction score
I've always called them rivnuts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thank you, always good to know things name. Technical and mechanical parts are always hard to translate.

Thanks. :)

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a rack already, Which I think you do....the z71 Rack will bolt right up I believe. Same holes, no extra. I’m almost 99.9999% sure. The it will be a matter of just finding them and having them shipped across the .... well you know.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2013-...-Z71-Off-Road-Luggage-Roof-Rack-/283854339247

this is for a long wheel base but he has one for a short truck and He ships international ....

Again, I’m 99.99999 % sure you don’t need extra holes or rivnuts/nutserts etc

OP
OP
M123

M123

Viking
Reaction score
If you have a rack already, Which I think you do....the z71 Rack will bolt right up I believe. Same holes, no extra. I’m almost 99.9999% sure. The it will be a matter of just finding them and having them shipped across the .... well you know.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2013-...-Z71-Off-Road-Luggage-Roof-Rack-/283854339247

this is for a long wheel base but he has one for a short truck and He ships international ....

Again, I’m 99.99999 % sure you don’t need extra holes or rivnuts/nutserts etc

I must have understand it wrong, did remember as it was 2 bolts more on the Z71 in the back then my rack.
But this sounds promising. :)

Will absolutely look in to if someone want to even sell something over at here.

Thanks for the help. :)

OP
OP
M123

M123

Viking
Reaction score
Haven't bought anything yet.
Did mailing with a seller on ebay regarding the Z71 rack and I did remember right. The Z71 have two bolts more then the standard.
Did get pictures so it's verified.