Roof Rack--Cross Rail Removal--

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes--I have searched--
I understand that there are a total of four Torx that must be removed from the aft end caps on an 09 Tahoe.
The question is--
After those Torx are removed, how do the end caps come off?
Then the cross bars just slide off.
Correct?

Thank you,
Bob

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Found it under Cross Bar Removal.
I should be all set---.

Bob

Wakinvol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they (rear pieces) come up and unsnap from the rails. The cross bars will then slide right out the back. Did mine a few weeks ago.

OP
OP
BobMc

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be pointed out that the "tab" that lifts up to remove the end caps is actually on the top portion of the rail--in the grove of the rail.
My cross rails are off and I start a 7,000 mile trip next week.
I wonder how much my fuel milage will increase???
What a dreamer I am!!

Garret813

Reaction score
I'm curious what the benefit of removing the crossrails would be. Is it just for looks or does it actually improve airflow? Never really heard of people doing that so I'm curious about y'alls reasoning.

OP
OP
BobMc

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not figured out the gas milage deal--that would be nice to see an increase as I have a 7,000 mile trip coming up.
I honestly believe that the truck is quieter without them.

Bob

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
i just did this the other day. There are 6 total. 4 on each end and one in the middle of the rail. Unbolt them and they whole Rail comes off.

OP
OP
BobMc

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to muck up the water--
We were only talking about the end caps and cross rails at the beginning of the thread.

Bob

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it'd be really helpful if someone made a how-to with pics regarding the cross rails removal. I remember that I couldn't figure out how to get them off when I went to remove mine, and so I ended up taking the whole rack -- with everything intact -- off as one piece. When I slid the rails off with the rack off the truck, I remember thinking that there was [still] just no way to get them off with the side rails on the truck. The tabs seemed pretty inaccessible.

OP
OP
BobMc

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too late for pictures from me.
BUT--
Get up on a stepstool and look at the rear of one rail. There are two torx (#25) to remove from the endcap on each rail.
After the torx are removed, reach inside the "U" of the rail with a screwdriver and lift the tab on the end cap and it will slide right off.
put a towel under the end of the rail and repeat on the other side.
Put a towel under the end of that rail and start working the cross rails off.

Bob

bloke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't post up much, but just wanted to say I find this forum a wealth of information, and wanted to thank all the guys whose advice I have used (without them even knowing) over the years and tonight is no different, roof rail cross bars removed in minutes, with zero problems.

cheers lads, I'm sure I owe somebody a drink :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts