Rodent Issue - Mice, Rats, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
Hello. I bought my 2017 Yukon at the end of last year, and have been lurking on here for a while.

My Yukon is too big to fit in my garage, so it's parked outside. My neighborhood is crawling with mice and rats, and they like climbing around in my engine compartment and making a mess. Does anyone have some tips for keeping them out? Bounce dryer sheets seemed to work for a little while, but they don't seem to anymore.

Thanks!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. I bought my 2017 Yukon at the end of last year, and have been lurking on here for a while.

My Yukon is too big to fit in my garage, so it's parked outside. My neighborhood is crawling with mice and rats, and they like climbing around in my engine compartment and making a mess. Does anyone have some tips for keeping them out? Bounce dryer sheets seemed to work for a little while, but they don't seem to anymore.

Thanks!

Crosman and Daisy have some good products. Solved the problem of them getting into my attic and bird feeder.

CND17 BURBAN

Reaction score
Spray some sort of cleaner on the plastic in the engine compartment. They do not like the smell of it.
I keep mine clean and Armor All'ed and I have't had a problem.
My car before I never cleaned the engine compartment and within parking outside a squirrel chewed through my fuel line just enough that once the car was on and there we pressure it would spay out. Drained about 1/2 a tank of gas just in the 5 mile drive to the dealership.

OP
OP
ChrisYukon

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
Spray some sort of cleaner on the plastic in the engine compartment. They do not like the smell of it.
I keep mine clean and Armor All'ed and I have't had a problem.
My car before I never cleaned the engine compartment and within parking outside a squirrel chewed through my fuel line just enough that once the car was on and there we pressure it would spay out. Drained about 1/2 a tank of gas just in the 5 mile drive to the dealership.

I will try this: Thanks! It also could be a squirrel that has been getting in there, too. That's why I'm worried about it - I don't want them chewing through anything: wiring harnesses are expensive!

A cat isn't an option: the predators in the neighborhood (coyotes, racoons, etc) would get it immediately. That's probably what is chasing the rodents in there in the first place.

Last edited:

ncpepperman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try this: Thanks! It also could be a squirrel that has been getting in there, too. That's why I'm worried about it - I don't want them chewing through anything: wiring harnesses are expensive!

A cat isn't an option: the predators in the neighborhood (coyotes, racoons, etc) would get it immediately. That's probably what is chasing the rodents in there in the first place.

Same problem here in the mountains of NC. Nothing in the Denali yet but rodent issues with other vehicles. I've put a covered box of poison under the the vehicles that only mice can get into. Also as last resort/ defense , have twist-tied on "sticky traps" under the hood . Seems a bit gruesome when they get caught but chewed wiring is worse..... not PETA approved.

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar issue as we live in a very rural area. Mice just built nests in the HVAC system but chipmunks and squirrels do the real wire chewing damage. I used multiple traps and trapped until every last one was gone. Had to empty traps for days but eventually, eradification was achieved. Still leave the traps out to capture newcomers. Peanut butter as bait works wonders. Screwed these traps to a 12” piece of 2x6 as some drug the traps off. 939AD1D7-0133-4B3D-BDEA-C30E9111FEE8.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my sister has a 2004 Chrysler and has had a rodent problem, dam rats have chewed up the seats, wiring harness, seatbelt straps, the car is "F-d up from them, she tried poison, moth balls, traps and just about everything you can think of-still has a problem. sucks

ncpepperman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar issue as we live in a very rural area. Mice just built nests in the HVAC system but chipmunks and squirrels do the real wire chewing damage. I used multiple traps and trapped until every last one was gone. Had to empty traps for days but eventually, eradification was achieved. Still leave the traps out to capture newcomers. Peanut butter as bait works wonders. Screwed these traps to a 12” piece of 2x6 as some drug the traps off. View attachment 203542

And they are advertised as "Humane". Did you place them in the engine compartment ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094