Rod Knock? Lifter Tick? Flex-plate noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnalbe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's probably a broken exhaust manifold bolt. It will sound like a bad lifter....or an engine knock ...trust me.
It's a real common problem and they make patch-up brackets for $30 if you don't want to fix it the long way. New manifolds are only $60 with gaskets and new boots. The heads of the bolts bust off all the time. GM should have recalled the vehicles but never did. I just ordered the repair bracket for my 6.2L Escalade 2007. VERY COMMOM ISSUE ! THAT'S YOUR TICK !
BTW...The tick usually goes away after the manifold heats up and expands.
Just search on YouTube for many videos on this issue.

Elite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hi all, i'm getting a valve tick on my '12 tahoe. should i be running 100% synthetic or what's a potential remedy? thanks.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi all, i'm getting a valve tick on my '12 tahoe. should i be running 100% synthetic or what's a potential remedy? thanks.
You might get better a better response if you started a new thread in the 2007-2014 section and not on a thread in the 2000-2006 section that was last posted on 4 months ago.

That being said, if you are already getting lifter tick, going to full synthetic could cause you more harm than good by breaking up sludge and causing it to plug things up.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks the idiot's who owned it before you never changed the oil at the proper intervals. I had absolutely no sludge in my pan when I did the pump tube o-ring. you did a timing chain good for you. I too noticed the slack when I had my pan off but figured with almost 300k on it I'll see how much longer it will go. I was amazed at how small the chain was, just a tiny single roller.

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you remove the intake and the valley cover, using a flash light you will be able to see some of the cam towards front and rear. I just rebuilt mine. I have a 03 flex fuel 5.3l. The #2 cyliner lifter bearing failed and created a flat spot on the lifter and a flat spot on the cam lobe. Your is definitely a lifter but it also sounds like the pressed in bearing for the connecting rod is bad.
I hope yours is not too bad. I thought mine was going to be easy, remove the heads, replace the lifters until i saw the cam lobe all galled up. One thing led to another and then i ended up tearing to motor completely and rebuilding it. One note, if you replace the crank sensor with an Ac delco make sure you use the correct sensor harness. I was getting no spark on mine for two weeks. Today went to advance and got a Bwd and it fired right up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B