Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same part number for a nbs? Looks the same :think:

But a 14 bumper would look clean fur shur
Yeah it’s the same. My problem is every once in awhile I drag the rear bumper when I exit a driveway. I have some studs mounted under the bumper so it hits those instead of the center plastic trim. It used to grind the bottom clips off that trim and it would come loose. It’s always popped that cover off the spare tire hoist and left it in the street. There’s a few laying around town. I wish I could find that trim without the hole.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut a notch in it like the other side only smaller and added a textured plastic panel behind it. Looks better at 5’ but I did not do a perfect job. I need to see if there’s something I can mount in that panel and then order a new bumper part (for about $30) and do a better job cutting the notch. The clamp is there until some silicone under the bottom pad sets up.

913D4176-9CBE-4239-AB51-883BCDB0F590.jpeg 89CB853E-EA67-469D-AE50-649F57132900.jpeg

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I cut a notch in it like the other side only smaller and added a textured plastic panel behind it. Looks better at 5’ but I did not do a perfect job. I need to see if there’s something I can mount in that panel and then order a new bumper part (for about $30) and do a better job cutting the notch. The clamp is there until some silicone under the bottom pad sets up.

View attachment 258234 View attachment 258235
With your skills why don't you just fill and blend it so it disappears?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s textured and I’m not that good. If it was smooth then yeah but I have no way to replicate texture. I actually tried on the part of the dash that goes across the front by the vents when I attempted a repair on it. They sell black plastic texture in a can. It didn’t come out looking like GM’s texture. It was textured but different.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s textured and I’m not that good. If it was smooth then yeah but I have no way to replicate texture. I actually tried on the part of the dash that goes across the front by the vents when I attempted a repair on it. They sell black plastic texture in a can. It didn’t come out looking like GM’s texture. It was textured but different.
Texture is really difficult.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could sand the area smooth and maybe color match? Would be unique...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what's on the left side of the license plate? Get another one of those and put it on the right side. Symmetry.
That’s the trailer wiring connector.I thought about that and even though I don’t need even one of them, it’s a possibility. I’m just not sure I want to spend $50 on a connector I don’t need and there’s the fact the left one has a factory cutout for it in the cover that wraps into the backing plate and no matter what I do I can’t make the opposite side look exactly the same. If I was to use one I would just mount it directly to the cover which would bother me because it’s different than the other one. I ordered a new center plastic piece and a Dorman plastic cover that looks like it will just go in place of the tire hoist cover. I might be able to just RTV it in place. https://www.ebay.com/itm/114345950438

SteveB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The texture in a can works ok , if you do light coats and sand it so it doesn't look as rough, the give it a coat of paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh