Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I got the shorties installed today and I’m running with no muffler ATM. I ordered a SLP Loud Mouth bullet muffler, it’s about all I have room for. I wanted to get an Aero Turbine but at 6” tall there was no way, a 4” tall muffler is all I can fit. Then I’ll see what i can do for a turn down. I have almost no room left over as far as length. Right now it’s terrible in the cab so I’ll see what the SLP does, plus I need to get the exit farther back. It’s under the rear seats now. Anyway they look good in the engine bay. I did have to modify the firewall on the passenger side and the heat shield on the driver side, and I took my 5lb mini sledge to the floorboard right where it angled up, where the cat was hitting and vibrating so that’s fixed. That drove me crazy, every time I hit the gas hard it vibrated and rattled bad. Got a new sticker for my toolbox. Oh, and Justin is working on my tune to help with more chop by pulling timing at idle and lowering the idle. It’s still idling at 800 for some reason.

C6EAF124-D2DD-4E91-ABFE-FE136BD3E1FC.jpeg 06757FE7-73FE-4A9E-8E11-CA75119CAD2E.jpeg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I got the shorties installed today and I’m running with no muffler ATM. I ordered a SLP Loud Mouth bullet muffler, it’s about all I have room for. I wanted to get an Aero Turbine but at 6” tall there was no way, a 4” tall muffler is all I can fit. Then I’ll see what i can do for a turn down. I have almost no room left over as far as length. Right now it’s terrible in the cab so I’ll see what the SLP does, plus I need to get the exit farther back. It’s under the rear seats now. Anyway they look good in the engine bay. I did have to modify the firewall on the passenger side and the heat shield on the driver side, and I took my 5lb mini sledge to the floorboard right where it angled up, where the cat was hitting and vibrating so that’s fixed. That drove me crazy, every time I hit the gas hard it vibrated and rattled bad. Got a new sticker for my toolbox. Oh, and Justin is working on my tune to help with more chop by pulling timing at idle and lowering the idle. It’s still idling at 800 for some reason.

View attachment 250995 View attachment 250996
Sounds great Mark!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 250995 View attachment 250996

I didn't know you went back with a stock cam. :p

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know you went back with a stock cam. :p
Yeah I don’t like this exhaust. I am extremely limited though, there’s literally zero room. I might have that shop give a shot at building something but I’ll have to leave cats in if I do. They will just be really small cats. Right now it sounds like he’ll inside the cab, probably because it exits straight out the back with no dump, and that point is under the rear seat. I need another 24” of length to get it near the back of the cab where it was. The muffler will get it close, then I’ll see about a dump. I can’t find any real short 3” ones and I need it to be about 6” long I think.
Edit: I’m hoping the tune will help but it’s taking forever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cancelled the SLP bullet and ordered a Borla 40359 that is the exact size as the original Magnaflow, and a Flowmaster short 3” turndown. This will put the exit where it used to be. I can’t go further back, there’s a crossmember in the way and no room over or under it. I’ll try this combo with the tune and see how it sounds before deciding about the cats. Borla 40359 Muffler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q7MBTK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_stv-EbJQ9YDWD

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, at least getting it past the back of the cab will make a big difference. You have a wall there separating it from the passenger compartment unlike in an SUV, so it's almost like having it exit out the back of the SUV. Well, other than it resonating under the bed.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, at least getting it past the back of the cab will make a big difference. You have a wall there separating it from the passenger compartment unlike in an SUV, so it's almost like having it exit out the back of the SUV. Well, other than it resonating under the bed.
Yeah it’s bad right now aired out. I went grocery shopping today. I got to the store and did what I always do- laid it out. The comps were still running filling the tank and I always let it fill to 200 psi so when I come out I hit the remote start and it brings itself to ride height and then refills the tank again while I load groceries and get rid of the cart. But it sounded so bad inside laid out that I hit the ride height button and then it took even longer to pump up because I just used a bunch of air. I’ll let it fill the tank first and THEN air it out from now on. I really need to get it to exit through that space between the cab and bed.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s bad right now aired out. I went grocery shopping today. I got to the store and did what I always do- laid it out. The comps were still running filling the tank and I always let it fill to 200 psi so when I come out I hit the remote start and it brings itself to ride height and then refills the tank again while I load groceries and get rid of the cart. But it sounded so bad inside laid out that I hit the ride height button and then it took even longer to pump up because I just used a bunch of air. I’ll let it fill the tank first and THEN air it out from now on. I really need to get it to exit through that space between the cab and bed.

Pretty sure I already know the answer, but how do you feel about the exhaust exiting through the panel? I mean having professional body work done. Not those cheap trim pieces that you cut a hole, screw 'em down and route the pipe through that. I'm thinking more of an arch(es) formed into the very bottom in the area in front of the right rear wheel. Have the tip(s) come out there. It'd technically be under the panel rather than through it.

NOT this:

water1.jpg

Something like this, but way cleaner. Have the notch(es) match the tip(s):

dansX002.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401