Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the new manifold today. I’m torn because of the hard line situation- it won’t void the warranty to try to run the hard lines all the way to the manifold but I don’t want to damage the fittings again and have to wait for another to be shipped. They said I could run just 1 1/2” soft lines from the manifold to a coupled so I tried that but the way it was mounted and the way the lines were bent, that wasn’t happening. So I have 2 choices. Either way, I need to mount it horizontally on it’s back so the lines exit to the rear of the truck and that way they don’t have to go around the frame tubes that are there. In which case I need to make most of the lines over. Or I can go with hard lines to the front and connect to those with soft lines at the frame rails on either side and run soft lines to the rear bags and possibly the compressor filter. I have temp soft lines on those locations now. That way the hard lines are where they need to be- up front near the exhaust since there’s no other way to run them up there. I have no leaks the way it is. DF178B4C-2F68-49DA-8D0D-61B23B3F2204.jpeg

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man your truck is sooooo clean. Mine looks like poop compared to yours.

Can you try the soft lines first to make sure everything is good? Or do you have to do one or the other?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man your truck is sooooo clean. Mine looks like poop compared to yours.

Can you try the soft lines first to make sure everything is good? Or do you have to do one or the other?
I have soft lines now on the rear bags and then partway to the front bags and back to the filter for the tank line. I think I’m going to go that route. I could re bend hard lines all the way to the manifold again but then there would be a coupler at every line right at the manifold where they turn to soft lines. I think that would actually look worse plus that’s more couplers/ connections. I still haven’t decided. The hard lines now are from the frame rails under the manifold all the way to the front bags where they pass close to the exhaust on the right side and the exhaust manifolds on both sides. Those will stay hard lines for sure.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm probably not picturing this quite accurately. But, is there a fitting (straight, 90°, 45°, etc.) that would screw directly into the port on the manifold, like replace what's there, that would accept the hard line?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm probably not picturing this quite accurately. But, is there a fitting (straight, 90°, 45°, etc.) that would screw directly into the port on the manifold, like replace what's there, that would accept the hard line?
The fittings on the manifold are push-to-connect so the only way to do it is by using a 1 1/2” length of soft line ( the line goes 5/8” into each PTC and you need a little extra) with a PTC union and then run hard line from there which might be the way I go. It doesn’t look as clean since there’s 5 unions right where the lines go into the manifold. It just means I have to order more hard line and re- make most of them since there’s no room for the unions the way they were bent and the way the manifold was mounted due to the driveline and frame parts. I am remounting the manifold anyway, and I’ll look at things once I do.

3B890D07-281B-4186-B75F-7EDA55279F01.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fittings on the manifold are push-to-connect so the only way to do it is by using a 1 1/2” length of soft line ( the line goes 5/8” into each PTC and you need a little extra) with a PTC union and then run hard line from there which might be the way I go. It doesn’t look as clean since there’s 5 unions right where the lines go into the manifold. It just means I have to order more hard line and re- make most of them since there’s no room for the unions the way they were bent and the way the manifold was mounted due to the driveline and frame parts. I am remounting the manifold anyway, and I’ll look at things once I do.

View attachment 242761

I see. Those PTC fittings are inside the box so all you see is the business ends. It'd be cool if they offered a hard line version. I'd imagine it'd be the same thing, but with the threaded bungs protruding out of the box instead of the PTC female ends. Too many warranty liabilities with that design, though.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swagelok fittings would be cool since they work on stainless steel lines as well as aluminum, copper and plastic. PTC won’t work on stainless because they won’t grip it because it’s too slick but some guys score it around the circumference where the teeth grab but avoiding the o-ring area. PTC works on aluminum and copper though. I’m not sure why the Airlift fittings are prone to damage from hard line.

Last edited: