1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by Rocket Man, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Build It Better Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    That was ALMOST. I just entered expert level today. The tiny chrome bits between the small buttons were on a part that was glued down at the ends so I broke them off and will use my solvent glue to melt them back on. The pieces are soaking in muriatic acid and when it eats the chrome off ( in a week or so from my experience) I will paint and reassemble. :driver:

7DD6A528-BA33-4AA1-B045-48307DF66148.jpeg 5B444D84-BD84-4D40-8A4E-69B801D3331A.jpeg

Da90, iamdub, kbuskill and 1 other person like this.
  2. iamdub

iamdub Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    Straight muriatic acid or is it diluted? I used some when trying to strip the adhesive foam off of the de-clads. Had it diluted at first and ended up trying it straight. Even then it didn't do shit. Ended up using a gel paint stripper from Tractor Supply. That stuff was bad ass!

Sam Harris likes this.
  3. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    It’s labeled 31.45% ? So I’m guessing it’s already diluted. It took a week at least on the interior door handles but eventually it worked. This is the spare escutcheon so I have plenty of time. So far, in a day, it hasn’t done shit on these pieces.

Sam Harris likes this.
  4. wjburken

wjburken Supporting Member

Name:
    Wade
    Did a quick search and thought this was pretty interesting.

Sam Harris likes this.
  5. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    Yeah I’ve seen that video before. I have tried Super Clean and all I can say is that chrome on models must be way thinner than anything on vehicle plastic parts, because that’s something that I left a part in for 2 weeks with nothing to show for it except it was real clean. If muriatic acid isn’t having much effect I can imagine what Super Clean will do. I have also seen them using Easy Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner with the same results, instantaneously, and I have also tried that with zero results. I’m thinking the plastic on models can pretty much be removed with anything.

Da90, Sam Harris and wjburken like this.
  6. iamdub

Name:
    Chris
    Chrome plating on models damned-near flakes off if you pinch it too hard. Many color schemes were switched up mid-build due to this. I wish I had the time and place to build some models again. I was one of those that made spark plug wires from stranded copper wire and glued them in their proper firing order on the distributor cap.

7. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    I just got word that I might be laid off for awhile so I opted for another project that I’ve been putting off. I just ordered the Airlift 3H air management system so I can move into the latest tech. I’ll be cancelling/ returning the gauges since I won’t need them, I’ll have all 4 corners and tank pressure read outs on the controller plus through Bluetooth on my phone. It’s a sweet system. It has ride height sensors too.

upload_2020-2-25_20-16-33.png

HiHoeSilver, iamdub, Tonyrodz and 2 others like this.
  8. NathanJax

NathanJax Vacation Nathan Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Name:
    Nathan
    That's what @yates ™ would tell you to do. I already had part of my Accuair setup so I went with the e-level.

wjburken, Rocket Man and yates ™ like this.
  9. iamdub

Name:
    Chris
    Prepares for possible unemployment by stocking up on things to pass the extra free time rather than conserving funds until re-employment. You, sir, are doin it right! :thumbsup:

10. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    Yeah, I remembered back when he was telling me about it, but back then he could get me a good deal. I asked him yesterday but he can’t do that anymore so I bought it from my own company, Amazon. Yes I own stock lmao.

Sam Harris and wjburken like this.