Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I just got a message back from the seller on eBay and was coming back on to update when I saw your post. He said the workaround is to use long zip ties through the foam and attach to the springs. Seems like a good idea as opposed to $100 for each piece of new foam. It’s the little plastic snap clips that are in the creases of the foam, where the seams of the seat pull into the grooves. Used to be hog rings, then they went to Velcro strips, now there’s just a few plastic clips. Look deep in the crack lmao. Those little orange things that snap onto the plastic channels sewed to the covers. Push on one side and they open up to release. Or break.
View attachment 238478
I've used the zip tie trick before. It worked but I don't know about the longevity of it. Just try to get the top of the zip tie--piece where the other end of the zip passes through--pushed into the foam. Don't leave that piece facing up into the leather. It could wear a spot in it if you don't.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a message back from the seller on eBay and was coming back on to update when I saw your post. He said the workaround is to use long zip ties through the foam and attach to the springs. Seems like a good idea as opposed to $100 for each piece of new foam. It’s the little plastic snap clips that are in the creases of the foam, where the seams of the seat pull into the grooves. Used to be hog rings, then they went to Velcro strips, now there’s just a few plastic clips. Look deep in the crack lmao. Those little orange things that snap onto the plastic channels sewed to the covers. Push on one side and they open up to release. Or break.
View attachment 238478

I was hoping it would jar something in my memory to help you but sadly it did not... Sorry.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used the zip tie trick before. It worked but I don't know about the longevity of it. Just try to get the top of the zip tie--piece where the other end of the zip passes through--pushed into the foam. Don't leave that piece facing up into the leather. It could wear a spot in it if you don't.
The zip tie will pass through the flap that extends down into the pocket, the flap has a plastic edge that’s supposed to push into the clips so it’s nowhere near the leather. I will cut a small slit behind part of that flap behind the plastic so it’s strong and slide the zip tie through. Then I’ll pull it together under the springs, that’s where the head of the zip tie will be. I’ll get pictures tonight.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The zip tie will pass through the flap that extends down into the pocket, the flap has a plastic edge that’s supposed to push into the clips so it’s nowhere near the leather. I will cut a small slit behind part of that flap behind the plastic so it’s strong and slide the zip tie through. Then I’ll pull it together under the springs, that’s where the head of the zip tie will be. I’ll get pictures tonight.
I've never had to mess with this setup before. Sorry Mark.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there’s these plastic clips that you’re supposed to snap the plastic channels into that are attached to flaps at the seams in the bottoms and backs of the covers. They’re there to pull the seams down into the grooves in the foam so the seat has contours. But they break easily. The bottom ds had 7 out of 10 broken. There’s 4 on each forward-to-back seam and 2 on the one that goes side-to-side.

E8C96AE6-2E42-4951-A53B-E4B45313501B.jpeg 8822EDF2-A30F-45D5-B64B-7F88FBA5FFC8.jpeg A4301FAC-0043-45D4-B8A9-4DEE75EBC834.jpeg 7953117E-9AA7-4FD7-AEEE-FCB9D6D4E8FF.jpeg

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The solution was to put slits in the flaps behind the plastic channels and loop tie straps through and then when the foam and cover are reinstalled on the frame you can loop those around the springs and tighten them which pulls the sarms down into the grooves of the foam. It makes a hard nod even harder since normally those seams are already done before you attach the foam and cover to the frame, plus you need really long tie straps. I connected 2 together but then I would have run out of room when pulling them tight since the place where they connect won’t pull through the slit so I had to get the seat almost together and then cut one zip tie off and grab the loose ends and zip them together. Next one I’m using loops of wire.

03DEBA0D-083B-4659-9122-A7F460349B0A.jpeg 809BA529-F7A2-4940-9CD3-3EFD157D3CF7.jpeg 6670E07D-5AB5-4F12-87A3-9DC99C0A5A27.jpeg 98035B58-8F70-4F7F-9852-CD9F2D27DBCB.jpeg 2E82480F-BD90-4D41-881A-92A6557B12B5.jpeg

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway it worked but I lost one of them as it slipped from my grasp. I’ll probably pull the cover one more time. There’s a loose spot on the right forward area where that one came out. Sucks. Stupid zip ties. Stupid clips. Bad idea GM. Velcro worked better.

C7CB125B-B862-4F21-9256-52B53FD6BE9B.jpeg F298FBB9-8B4A-4254-B89C-AC729E95F3B7.jpeg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway it worked but I lost one of them as it slipped from my grasp. I’ll probably pull the cover one more time. There’s a loose spot on the right forward area where that one came out. Sucks. Stupid zip ties. Stupid clips. Bad idea GM. Velcro worked better.

View attachment 238529 View attachment 238530
Keep up the good work Mark! When you’re done you’ll just appreciate it that much more! Looks ****** great!

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the passenger rear bottom. These have Velcro instead of the stupid plastic clips. And yes according to the included video, you do pull the foam and cover off the frame like I thought. The cover slips over the foam like a ( super friggin tight) pillowcase, then the whole thing slips over the frame. There’s a zipper and a couple other snap together clips. I steamed the hell out of this one, it came out good.

45E75312-D95C-4F00-937F-3436AF292DCC.jpeg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the passenger rear bottom. These have Velcro instead of the stupid plastic clips. And yes according to the included video, you do pull the foam and cover off the frame like I thought. The cover slips over the foam like a ( super friggin tight) pillowcase, then the whole thing slips over the frame. There’s a zipper and a couple other snap together clips. I steamed the hell out of this one, it came out good.

View attachment 238541
Very nice! Sounds like that was a hellova lot easier than the front DS..!

What are you using to steam it? I have a machine I bought to take down wallpaper at my old house, and was considering trying that on a cover I acquired from a member here. Need to take out some wrinkles..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos