Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking I’ll be buying HP Tuners and starting to do my own tuning. I just need to know if I can do some slight mods to my existing tunes instead of starting from stock since I’m not ready for that. That way I can look at data myself and command shifts. Frank @Performabuilt says he’d like me to disable the 3-2 shift solenoid since he says it’s not needed with their builds and can cause limp mode. I have wanted to start doing my own tuning, maybe it’s time. I’m out of patience with Justin and his 2 week wait for an answer. They’re ok for getting your tunes but for any technical help like this not so much.

Self-sufficiency is the way! :patriot:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking I’ll be buying HP Tuners and starting to do my own tuning. I just need to know if I can do some slight mods to my existing tunes instead of starting from stock since I’m not ready for that. That way I can look at data myself and command shifts. Frank @Performabuilt says he’d like me to disable the 3-2 shift solenoid since he says it’s not needed with their builds and can cause limp mode. I have wanted to start doing my own tuning, maybe it’s time. I’m out of patience with Justin and his 2 week wait for an answer. They’re ok for getting your tunes but for any technical help like this not so much.

Last I looked into this, they don't interface and there is no third party interface/translator. You have to manually copy the tune in each table/box/option. Also, some tables are oriented differently. For example, (using random items) with EFIL, the MAF scale might be on the X axis and the IDC on the Y axis, but it's opposite with HPT. Supposedly, you can rotate and/or flip them to make them easier to compare and copy.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last I looked into this, they don't interface and there is no third party interface/translator. You have to manually copy the tune in each table/box/option. Also, some tables are oriented differently. For example, (using random items) with EFIL, the MAF scale might be on the X axis and the IDC on the Y axis, but it's opposite with HPT. Supposedly, you can rotate and/or flip them to make them easier to compare and copy.

Is this a recent change one of them did? I have a file labeled "BBP tune" but it's in HPT config and I can open and mod it as I please with HPT. It was what I pulled off my Silverado when I switch from BBP to HPT. Of course, you can't take an EFI Configed tune and read it with HPT but if you load it to the ECU with EFI then copy it from the ECU with HPT then the MPVI should translate it to HPT config and you should be able to work it.

Now this experience I'm talking from is circa Jan 2017 so maybe stuff has changed but I don't see why it would have.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't need to interface it as in take the tune from an EFI Live file and work on it, but to download it from the vehicle and then work on it. So, like Dan was saying it should work. Frank @ Performabuilt just told me HPT will modify any tune as long as it's not password locked and if it is I'll get the password from Justin. He will no longer hold me hostage! I was shopping for the Mpvi2+and found it plus 2 credits for $344 from Hinson Motorsports on Amazon which is $55 off plus they send 2 t-shirts yay. I can always use a couple work-on-the truck shirts. :) Plus as far as the harness is concerned there's 2 options depending on the pressure switch in the trans and the only way to know which one you have is to look at it according to Frank. I'm not dropping the pan yet so Frank gave me an Amazon link to the whole kit that has a harness, pressure switch and all AC Delco solenoids for about $150 so I ordered that and another gallon of Dexron VI. This $525 better fix my problem or else. :crazy:

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't need to interface it as in take the tune from an EFI Live file and work on it, but to download it from the vehicle and then work on it. So, like Dan was saying it should work. Frank @ Performabuilt just told me HPT will modify any tune as long as it's not password locked and if it is I'll get the password from Justin. He will no longer hold me hostage! I was shopping for the Mpvi2+and found it plus 2 credits for $344 from Hinson Motorsports on Amazon which is $55 off plus they send 2 t-shirts yay. I can always use a couple work-on-the truck shirts. :) Plus as far as the harness is concerned there's 2 options depending on the pressure switch in the trans and the only way to know which one you have is to look at it according to Frank. I'm not dropping the pan yet so Frank gave me an Amazon link to the whole kit that has a harness, pressure switch and all AC Delco solenoids for about $150 so I ordered that and another gallon of Dexron VI. This $525 better fix my problem or else. :crazy:
Fingers crossed man....

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score

IDK if the MPVI2+ has an option to plug the wideband signal straight to the device or not but that is why I bought the MPVI2 PRO, if not you will have to do some kinda sketchy wiring with the EGR port or AC pressure sensor, and it's a PITA IMO.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK if the MPVI2+ has an option to plug the wideband signal straight to the device or not but that is why I bought the MPVI2 PRO, if not you will have to do some kinda sketchy wiring with the EGR port or AC pressure sensor, and it's a PITA IMO.
I don’t need to do that though do I? Can’t I do like BB does and just look at data logs and use that to tune? I don’t plan on doing anything with the engine tune anyway tbh. It runs great and I’m not planning on doing anything else to the motor. The Pro is another $300 as you know.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t need to do that though do I? Can’t I do like BB does and just look at data logs and use that to tune? I don’t plan on doing anything with the engine tune anyway tbh. It runs great and I’m not planning on doing anything else to the motor. The Pro is another $300 as you know.

If you don't plan on touching fuel or spark then you don't need it. I guess they have been tuning your truck using the narrow bands which is kinda sketchy.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id buy the pro if you're going to buy one. That way you don't look back and say "I should've"

I mean, I bought the pro and still don't know how to tune so maybe I'm doing it wrong...

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't plan on touching fuel or spark then you don't need it. I guess they have been tuning your truck using the narrow bands which is kinda sketchy.
Well crap now you got me thinking. Maybe I should cancel that order and buy the Pro. I mean I have the wideband cable routed to the console already… :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9