Road Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D -money

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I now have the same sound in my 05 hoe. It starts around 27-30 mph and shows back up around 55. Intermittant, about 6-8 s seconds. Dissapears if i gas it or jerk wheel to right or left. My first thought was hubs, so im going to check play when i do tire rotation after xmas. Is there any gotchas behind normal hub removal on my rig, im a ex ford guy. Thanks for everyone on site and the invaluable forum.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy one set of new hub bolts. On the first hub, back the old bolts out about a half inch or so. You can beat on the heads of those old bolts with a 3 lb. hammer and the hub will pop right out for you.
No torch needed (usually).

If you have to do the other side too, remove all three of the original bolts completely and thread the old beater bolts in by hand and leave them sticking out about a half inch or so (like before). Use them to beat that hub out and save them in the basement for future hub replacements.

That way, you will install the one new set of bolts; be able to use three of the good original bolts and have the beater bolts for use as a "tool" should you have to do hubs again (you won't need to buy new bolts every time).

Also, use a breaker bar to remove the hub bolts if you have never done them or have no idea if they have ever been removed.
Avoid the temptation to rip 'em out with the impact wrench. You might snap them. (At least you would have that new set of bolts on hand, but you wouldn't be able to use the old ones to beat the hub out on the other side...)

Wouldn't hurt to try soaking the bolts with a good penetrating oil too. Not sure it will actually soak all the way in, but wouldn't hurt.

It's early and I haven't finished my first (of several) coffee yet. So, if you need clarification on this morning ramble... Just let me know.

Last edited:

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I now have the same sound in my 05 hoe. It starts around 27-30 mph and shows back up around 55. Intermittant, about 6-8 s seconds. Dissapears if i gas it or jerk wheel to right or left. My first thought was hubs, so im going to check play when i do tire rotation after xmas. Is there any gotchas behind normal hub removal on my rig, im a ex ford guy. Thanks for everyone on site and the invaluable forum.
Make a new thread, tag me in it, and I'll walk ya through what you need to know :)

D -money

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your tip, so cool to have help when one never has.
. Im going to give it hell if thats what the noise is and will post the outcome. Fortunately i have 2 vehicles if i get stuck. Peaceful holidays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts