Rise of the Turd-burban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in West Georgia.
I didn’t notice my oil pressure prior to the trans swap, but when I pulled the pan to do the gasket there was a lot of sludge. The pickup tube was a PITA to get cleaned. I had to basically poke every hole in the wire mesh to unclog it.
Here’s something fun- when I got the oil pan off, the hold down nuts for the oil pickup tube bracket we’re so loose you just shake it all about. I was like, what’s this Hokey pokey business?!

Oil pressure is great now. I just didn’t pay much attention to it beforehand, so I don’t know how much it improved, but I know it had to.

Nooj
Unfortunate! I will have to commiserate virtually, then. And you are way more industrious than me.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the market last year for a 2500 Suburban and all by me were well over $10,000 & then they looked pretty ragged inside & out. I found a 2000 Suburban 2500 for $6,500 with a pair of alum heads added to the deal. Previous owner had $7,000 worth of receipts less than 2 years old. It drove good & looked great in the rain so I bought it. With under 170K miles & market at the time I felt it was worth the risk & I wanted a project to play with.

None of the power locks, heated seats, radio, washer fluid front or rear worked & drivers seat was a bit rough. Carpet was beyond cleaning. Most items were simple fixes but alot of them. I did replace the carpet, installed sound deadening, new seat foam & new leather for all 3 rows. Been a great ride since.

Wish you well on your project.

20210217_161802.jpg
20210515_082028.jpg

20220805_105610.jpg

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Guys & gals- I’ve pulled it off. You’re not gonna believe the transformation!

View attachment 378358

aaaaand NOW!

View attachment 378359

Follow me for more exciting mods and how-to’s!!

Ok, back to reality.
I’ve found zero indication of a CB antenna having been on this vehicle. Some mysteries are just too unsolvable.

Mirrors- I don’t have the light up middle part on my buttons. And the buttons don’t do anything, so I’m gonna investigate when I go to R&R my passenger side signal mirror.
I'm sorry, mine is an 03, I didn't know yours was an 02. Different electrical systems--and switches.

OP
OP
N

Nooj

Reaction score
I was in the market for a 2500 Suburban and all by me were well over $10,000 & then they looked pretty ragged inside & out. I found a 2000 Suburban 2500 for $6,500 with a pair of alum heads added to the deal. Previous owner had $7,000 worth of receipts less than 2 years old. It drove good & looked great in the rain so I bought it. With under 170K miles & market at the time I felt it was worth the risk & I wanted a project to play with.

None of the power locks, heated seats, radio, washer fluid front or rear worked & drivers seat was a bit rough. Carpet was beyond cleaning. Most items were simple fixes but alot of them. I did replace the carpet, installed sound deadening, new seat foam & new leather for all 3 rows. Been a great ride since.

Wish you well on your project.
Way to go! Looks great, and you’ve got a rig to be proud of.

I hope to do some sound deadening/ insulating when I get to the point of tearing the interior out. I’m hoping the seats will clean up enough to be a’ight for my use (with the exception of the drivers seat).
I’ve got an industrial sewing machine ready to go, I may try making the seat cover myself. I have some leather samples on the way.
Were the whole seats leather, or only certain parts?? Because mine are a mix. I don’t know if that’s how they were from the factory. I kinda assumed the vinyl bolster on the drivers side was a repair, but then I found the same on the passenger side. Could’ve been a double repair, I reckon.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

I hope to do some sound deadening/ insulating when I get to the point of tearing the interior out. I’m hoping the seats will clean up enough to be a’ight for my use (with the exception of the drivers seat).
I’ve got an industrial sewing machine ready to go, I may try making the seat cover myself. I have some leather samples on the way.
Were the whole seats leather, or only certain parts?? Because mine are a mix. I don’t know if that’s how they were from the factory. I kinda assumed the vinyl bolster on the drivers side was a repair, but then I found the same on the passenger side. Could’ve been a double repair, I reckon.
Leather seating surfaces with vinyl on the sides. That's original.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Stock is a mix. I went with full Katzkin Leather.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Round four

Maybe there is something in the wiring…
And there was- A LOT!
I removed an alarm system (old Hornet) with windows controller, an XM box that was probably really cool at one point, an air horn, a hands free apparatus, some junk speaker wires, etc.

And to my surprise, it still cranks and runs!!

Question: that cable going under the carpet in front of my console, it was attached to that silver box. What is it, and should it be there? Thanks in advance.

Nooj
Dibs on the air horn. Since you are used to "overpaying", could you please ship it to me in Oregon and pay for the shipping??????

By the way, go ahead and be embarrassed and tell us what you paid for it.

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Nooj, love your humor! I can feel your pain, being a driveway DIY'er myself. I have found myself too many times laying on my back and having all the mud and sand falling in my face while trying to get a bolt loose and such wishing for a shop and a lift. Look forward to seeing your progress as you make your rig your own.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great entertaining read so far! Got some good laughs!
On another note, from the picture you posted of your window switch/mirror controls, that switch appears to be from a pre-2003 truck, and if your burn is a pre-2003!

EDIT: let me correct myself…. Lol tahoes, burbs, and Yukons did not get DL3 power folding mirrors til 2003, however the first Escalade of the GMT800 range, the 2002 Escalade and EXT variants did get power fold mirrors although they didn’t have turn signals. The power fold switch wa s located beside the cluster in the spot where the 4x4 switch controls are mounted in the other trucks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues