Retrofit Headlight opinion???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ordo 87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had to go back and hit the “show ignored content” after reading through the thread and seeing there was something going on. And it didn’t take long to remember why I put the Pug dude on my ignore list right after he joined the forum. I think it was after reading his second or third post. Sometimes it only takes a minute to know someone has absolutely nothing that you want to hear. :hmmm2:
:lazer:Well said.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I may put a small tasteful matte black bowtie inside the headlights somewhere... just to be different.

Rubbing alcohol removes the chrome plating from plastic. You could get a bow tie stencil in the size you like, such as having a vinyl shop cut one out, and you use the sheet around it rather than the actual bowtie (stick the bowtie somewhere else- steering wheel?). Anyway, position the stencil, mask off all around it, rub some alcohol on it to remove the chrome, then paint it.

Additional idea: You could use the cutout bow tie as a mock-up to place around the chrome to see how you like it.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Rubbing alcohol removes the chrome plating from plastic. You could get a bow tie stencil in the size you like, such as having a vinyl shop cut one out, and you use the sheet around it rather than the actual bowtie (stick the bowtie somewhere else- steering wheel?). Anyway, position the stencil, mask off all around it, rub some alcohol on it to remove the chrome, then paint it.

Additional idea: You could use the cutout bow tie as a mock-up to place around the chrome to see how you like it.

I've never tried to remove the chrome from inside a headlight, but I know that I have read about guys using various different chemicals to remove the chrome from plastic, including lye.

When I have painted chrome in the past I have sand blasted and used a self etching primer before painting. Obviously sand blasting would be a bit much in this case.

I am still debating on having the lenses etched. There is a guy local to me that has a laser engraver and he has done projector lenses before. The trouble is the possibilities are endless and I have trouble narrowing down what I would want.

I think I will probably go with my old tried and true "sometimes less is more" thinking and keep it simple.... maybe... lol

I have always liked "OEM+" type of mods, you know the ones where people look at it and think to themselves "Was that a factory option I didn't know about or forgot to order?"

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I read all the way back to the first posts and it seems the offense came from talking about Blacking things out, and a picture posted of Uncle Ben, who is black.

Duuuuuuuude. This just clicked in my noggin. Yeah- that's gotta be what he put together out of my post. WTflyingF...

...I think an unintended racial offense was created.

Well, when you have people that look for opportunities to make things about race, you get...

...racist pugs? :shrug:

Anyway, now that the mystery has been solved, we can get back to Ken bl**king out his headlights or color-matching them to his Wh**e Diamond Tricoat body color.

(Censored as not to unintentionally offend any left coast snowflakes)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never tried to remove the chrome from inside a headlight, but I know that I have read about guys using various different chemicals to remove the chrome from plastic, including lye.

When I have painted chrome in the past I have sand blasted and used a self etching primer before painting. Obviously sand blasting would be a bit much in this case.

I am still debating on having the lenses etched. There is a guy local to me that has a laser engraver and he has done projector lenses before. The trouble is the possibilities are endless and I have trouble narrowing down what I would want.

I think I will probably go with my old tried and true "sometimes less is more" thinking and keep it simple.... maybe... lol

I have always liked "OEM+" type of mods, you know the ones where people look at it and think to themselves "Was that a factory option I didn't know about or forgot to order?"

I learned about the alcohol thing the hard way. I wanted to clean the inside of an OEM driving light on my Xtreme and thought alcohol would be great since it would evaporate and be "self-cleaning". I poured a little in and immediately regretted it.

I'm not good at make decisions on things that will be permanent and possibly expensive to undo or redo, either. I weigh too many factors, and too often, things that shouldn't be factors.

I agree with the OEM+ mentality. Things can get ricey if you go too far for a "theme".

Oldmopars

Reaction score
(Censored as not to unintentionally offend any left coast snowflakes)

Hey, now that is offensive! ;)
I normally try to keep my West Coast origins a secret as my political leanings are polar opposites from the majority. I’ll forgive you, as long as you are a Tahoe/Yukon fan, you are OK in my book.

Back on subject , I put new headlights in my burb’ and have not had the time to aim them. Holy smokes, they are not aimed out of the box. I’m spotting low flying aircraft with them. I went with the stock black/ chrome.