Results from Road Trip (1100 miles) in Recently purchased 145K Miles 2012 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were Blessed to find that AWESOME well maintained Tahoe Bill. It is also awesome it went to a good home like yours. Glad you bought it before it was gone.

dapapa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bill D
Comparing apples to oranges, I recently took my Yukon Denali from Southern Connecticut to The Canadian side of Niagra Falls. About 1200 miles round trip. And the weather was cold and heavy rain for much of the trip. Like you, I felt totally safe and comfortable. With the trans in auto 4wd I never worried about the super wet roads. Gas mileage averaged 21highway on the way up and 22 on the way beck (auto4wd off much of return trip). If you want more power you should have gone Denali with the 6.2L. Smooth and very powerful. I have the Range AFM plugin to keep it in V8mode so I don’t have to worry about oil or the lifters.

OP
OP
Bill D

Bill D

Reaction score
You were Blessed to find that AWESOME well maintained Tahoe Bill. It is also awesome it went to a good home like yours. Glad you bought it before it was gone.

Thanks Miami Dade! Today I replaced all the interior lights with LED's and they look sweet.

Although Ive come a long way since I was a 20 year old finding out that he purchased (2) different Body Frame Integral vehicle half's that were welded together by an unscrupulous dealer into (1) car (and the welds covered over by undercoating), I still feel that same negative feeling very single time I walk into a dealer or negotiate to buy a used or even new vehicle.

I have a permanently arched eyebrow about anything dealing with buying a car. Quite frankly its not fair to any honest salesmen at a reputable dealer, its a PITA for them. However, in my defense I really cant control it because it is driving me at a subconscious level. I do everything I can to be straight forward in the transactions, but always lingering in the background is ...don't even think about screwing me!

With that said, I do my best in advance to investigate every possible angle about a vehicle before I even set out to visit a dealer or individual to buy. Its a OCD type of thing from that old wound, but it saves me time and money and saves the salesmen a lot of wasted time deploying selling techniques that have 0 chance of ever working with me.

The Truck I purchased was truly a 1 / Million find. I spent a total of 1 week searching for it. Everything that normally shows wear and tear on these vehicles between 80 - 150 K miles was either maintained meticulously or was replaced on this Tahoe. Dash, Climate control knobs (no stickers!), Chrome interior trim, steering wheel trim, leather, Seat covers, latches, window regulators, everything under hood etc. works as it should and is cosmetically similar or significantly better than similar equipped 07 - 13 Tahoe's for sale in my Zip Code with 70K - 100K+ miles and listing for over 10K$ more.

Although salt is used on the roads in Michigan, all the brake lines are shiny, black and new looking (not painted, sanded or or modified in any way they are OEM e-coated. ) Fluids / Oils? - Over maintained. No Rust. Did Joe, the former service manager for the dealer now a retired part time driver in his 70's treat this truck like it was his very own? I think so, and its obvious he also treated the Mechanics very well to get all those new parts! As I said, this is a great vehicle, I am in Love!

To me the art of purchasing any vehicle, new or old comes down to the benefits of intentionally and obsessively seeking out vehicles and deals that are the opposite of the wreck I bought as a 20 year old with nothing but my clothes on my back. It always means buying them at a price giving the sellers an absolute minimum, but fair profit.

Interestingly, rather than being bored or embarrassed by my techniques, my Wife tags along and appreciates the process I use. She told me I should have had a GoPro on through out the process in order to share with others how to do it! (Sorry, now that is bragging, I apologize!)

Im not sure if all this helps anyone wanting to buy one of these vehicles used, but IMHO it all comes down to Research..research research, timing, timing, timing.... and at the end of the day ...the Grace of God!

383z

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Op, this was a refreshing read.
I'm going to buy a 2009 Tahoe Z71 this week. It has 95,000 miles and I'm a little nervous about the high mileage, but I know the 5.3 last for 200,000 and the 2009's and newer have better transmission than the older Tahoes. Hopefully, the small thing around the engine will hold up well too like alternator, clutch fan, water pump, etc.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a 2009 Tahoe Z71 this week. It has 95,000 miles and I'm a little nervous about the high mileage, but I know the 5.3 last for 200,000 and the 2009's and newer have better transmission than the older Tahoes. Hopefully, the small thing around the engine will hold up well too like alternator, clutch fan, water pump, etc.

That's like 30K compared with a 1980s auto. Keep the fluids clean and get a Tech2 so you can monitor and work on it.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, if you dig the vehicle in stock form, get a Black Bear Performance tune and fall in love all over again. No exaggeration.

Enjoy.

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don’t stress. I just bought a suburban with 214k on the clock. Yes, I put a new transmission in it, but hey, now I have a 100k mile warranty on it and don’t have to worry about it.

Overall she was in great shape, very little wear in the high wear areas. And while the transmission hurt and I was hoping it wouldn’t needed it, I priced it in when I bought her so it wasn’t a surprise.

Treat it well and it should last a good long while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts