Reset Check Engine W/Out going to Dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wins1one

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find it. My shocks are out and need to reset the check engine light to get my car smogged really quick. I don't want to pay the extra $100+ dollars just to reset the system for now. Times are a little tough at the moment. So is there a way to reset the light so I can sneak it into the smog check station for the time being?
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!.

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can reset your check engine light by disconnecting your battery terminal for 20 mins. i dont know about CA but in MD if you reset ur ECU, you have to drive the car for two weeks before you attempt to pass it emissions. so i dont know if that will help you pass

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
Get a superchips programmer, or just a engine code reader, you can reset and see what your code is in seconds, I love mine to see what the issue is ASAP.

Also most AdvanceAutoParts will read and clear the code for you.

baron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advance Auto Parts for the win. They have never given me any grief about resetting the light. Autozone, on the other hand, will hardly do it. A couple of times, the guy said that if I happened to push the button while he wasn't looking, there wasn't anything he could do about it.

But, hassoun is right, most place that do a smog check, if it is one where they plug into your odbii port anyway, also checks some statuses on the ECU. Those have to hit certain conditions to trigger; there is a website that you can check out that will tell you what conditions you need to hit to speed up the process, otherwise, it will take about two weeks of normal driving. If they are just glancing to see if you have a light on and then only hooking your exhaust up to their machine, you are good, but if they are plugging into it too... well, you might be able to find a guy who is pretty lax about it.

TERRYCCTT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
cold startup idle for two min and drive at 30 for 3 min and 45 to 60 mph for about 4-5 min. i do this on a one way trip and turn around and go back to my shop the same way. NORMAL driving throttle usually cant go over 50%. rarely i have to do this more than once and all but one monitor have run. of corse every vehicle is different but this works 90% of the time. texas is 97-00 two not ready and 01 newer is one not run to pass. cant say about other states.ive heard rumors that they want to change to no not readys for the new cars but havent heard when.oh just disconnect the battery for a min to reset. if you have evap codes fill the tank and comp. wont test until its at 3/4 tank.