Reposting from wrong group. New to group, but searching for answers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tbgrey2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This started a week or so after I had the driver's side motor mount changed. Anything along the firewall that might have gotten pitched or nicked when they jack the motor up to make room for the new mount that might be causing the problem? The mechanic said it is like the ECM is fluctuating the throttle input to the engine, but not throwing a code as to why.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get out a good scan tool and graph the throttle position sensor (for smoothness) through its range, and compare that to the throttle body throttle position sensor to see how they track alone and in concert with each other.

OP
OP
T

tbgrey2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Their initial diagnosis for these symptoms was to replace the whole transmission?
The initially changed the throttle body. I picked it up and did not even get a 1/4 mile down the road and the problems started again. After that the shop thought it was slipping in second gear. There were shavings and clutch material in the pan and they had issues with it in reverse. I don't doubt the tranny was going to need replacing at some point (231k), but it had been shifting fine before these issues started. Guess I'll call the transmission replacement preventive maintenance.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The initially changed the throttle body. I picked it up and did not even get a 1/4 mile down the road and the problems started again. After that the shop thought it was slipping in second gear. There were shavings and clutch material in the pan and they had issues with it in reverse. I don't doubt the tranny was going to need replacing at some point (231k), but it had been shifting fine before these issues started. Guess I'll call the transmission replacement preventive maintenance.

No matter how nice these fellas are, I think you need to take it to folks who are better trained. A trip to your local dealership probably would have you back on the road by now. They will use their bi-directional scan tool to pull any internal codes and follow the troubleshooting guide before throwing parts at it.

What state do you call home?

OP
OP
T

tbgrey2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No matter how nice these fellas are, I think you need to take it to folks who are better trained. A trip to your local dealership probably would have you back on the road by now. They will use their bi-directional scan tool to pull any internal codes and follow the troubleshooting guide before throwing parts at it.

What state do you call home?
I'm in NC, outside Charlotte. I called the shop this morning and they are replacing the ECM. They did try a second throttle body and the problem got worse. Hoping to get it back today or tomorrow depending on when the part comes in. If this doesn't work I don't think I have much choice but to take it somewhere else. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks in. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
T

tbgrey2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Shop ordered an ECM and it appears to have fixed the problem. They are going to keep it over the weekend and start it and drive it some more to make sure. Wondering if I take it to the local dealer for a once over on the wires/lines to make sure there isn’t something still lingering just for the piece of mind. Thoughts??

OP
OP
T

tbgrey2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just an update. New ECM appears to have done the trick. Shop charged me for the part and programming (at a reduced price). My radiator sprung a leak while they were trying to figure out what my original problem was so they replaced that free of charge. I felt like that was fair after 3 weeks of back and forth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts