Repost I am sure...Interm. Steering Shaft Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All, I have been trying to find as much on this as possible. I see it get asked a lot on here so I am going to repost in order to educate us Noobs with the same question.

So, in order to fix the symptom/problem of clunky steering on bumps and while turning at slow speeds, here is a tech write up.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/resources/...diate-steering-shaft-for-1999-to-2004-trucks/

I think this could easily be done with out the grease kit from GM. I have also seen where someone added a Zerk...I might do that today. WIsh I could find a How-To on that.

HEre is the other link if you are looking to replace with a Bad Ass Part.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/B...700+400016+303811+4294924653+115&autoview=sku

I do not claim to know anyhting about this fix, but like most, I have been searching a lot for it and need to tackle it soon. REad somewhere that it only takes an hour. Seems easy.

BB

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very easy to do. hardest part is just trying to work up there under the dash.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

B O S S

OP
OP
Bailey-Hoe!

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interim Fix

Like the forum suggests...

I just investigated working on mine. Here is what I found.

Mine - Unbolted the bolt in the engine compartment. Pumped it in and out. Seems Bone Dry. However, put back together, and the knocking is gone. I am pleased. I know this won't last but it lends credibility to taking out, re greasing, and saving at least $70 on a new part.

I would still like to add a Zerk to it, but I am not sure how to go about it.

New Part - went to an Auto Parts store locally. They stock 'Dorman' parts. Had the ISS in stock for $70. Seemed solid, and would be a cheap fix.

** Warning - no one mentions turning the steering wheel when removing this part to work on. Everyone warns not to turn it when it is disconnected. THis put fear into me but I realized that this is much easier accessed if you tunr the wheel to access the bolts. Leave them in and then return the wheel to straight. THen disconnect everything keeping the wheel straight. When you reconnect, put new ISS in, turn, and bolt up. Easy as pie.

Stay tuned,
BB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts