Replacing torque converter - with what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Asking the question here, even though it's a pickup, not an SUV. But it's the same powertrain...

Rear main seal needs to be replaced in my 2009 Denali. It has 150k miles, and we plan to keep it for quite a while longer. Since we're dropping the transmission, I figure it's probably a good time to proactively replace the TC. I can get a Delco reman from Rock Auto for $344 after the core charge. Any reason not to do that?

Totally stock - I've never done any extra work on it, not even a tune. Frankly, I don't trust myself with any more power/capability.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asking the question here, even though it's a pickup, not an SUV. But it's the same powertrain...

Rear main seal needs to be replaced in my 2009 Denali. It has 150k miles, and we plan to keep it for quite a while longer. Since we're dropping the transmission, I figure it's probably a good time to proactively replace the TC. I can get a Delco reman from Rock Auto for $344 after the core charge. Any reason not to do that?

Totally stock - I've never done any extra work on it, not even a tune. Frankly, I don't trust myself with any more power/capability.
Yes. You want one with a billet cover because it solves a problem with the original that contributes to early failure. I have a CVC BU60FHD and I’m happy with it. @NickTransmissions may have another recommendation.

Reaction score

Billet cover if you frequently tow/haul or otherwise live in a high heat climate. Make sure the new converter has a converter clutch that's at least .050" thick (my builder uses .070" thick clutches).

If the Delco reman uses the same garbage .020" thick clutch, hard pass.

Last edited:

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I installed a Precision of New Hampton tc, # P4646, 4+ yrs and 57k miles ago when at 132k miles I had my tranny etc out to do a rear main seal job. $218 and no regrets.

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Precision of New Hampton tc, # P4646, 4+ yrs and 57k miles ago when at 132k miles I had my tranny etc out to do a rear main seal job. $218 and no regrets.
Don, it says that's for a 6L90. The 4645 is for the 6L80. Are they interchangeable? I have zero experience with this.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don, it says that's for a 6L90. The 4645 is for the 6L80. Are they interchangeable? I have zero experience with this.
It's second hand info, but the transmission shop told me he uses the same model BU60FHD in both the 6L80 and 6L90, and it was listed as compatible with both in the CVC catalog at the time, so my bet is that yes, they are interchangeable.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the 4646 is stronger is what the dealer told me that I purchased it from.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PATC in louisiana makes good converters too... The "stock" core one has a beefed up clutch and you can also
order whatever stall speed you'd like. Mine is holding up very well.. ( with the new cam I wish I'd gone to a
2000 stall instead of the 1800) Stock is about 1600 rpm stall.