Replacing Pealing chrome interior door handles 07 - (08+ not sure)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing first, so I do not reinvent the wheel
Start here
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30772

It's pretty easy, you need:
1) small flat screwdriver,
2) 10mm socket, and wrench with an extension.
3) The only thing I would add is to use a plastic easy pry tool:

To fix your handles
4) 7mm nut driver - For removal
5) The easy pry tool
6) Hammer, and punch pin with large flat punch surface.

http://www.amazon.com/Steck-Autobod...&qid=1403813249&sr=1-1&keywords=easy+pry+tool

11N50N4Z7RL.jpg

Best tool I have in my box for removing interior panels and parts without damaging your plastic pieces, or chipping your paint. Much better than using a screwdriver on the interior plastic panels that have a tendency to break or bend from metal.

Second thing to note is the Front and rear door handles are the same, I purchased two sets from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHOS3NG/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71JKznPDdEL._SL1500_.jpg

They fit perfectly both front and rear.

Once you get the door handles, and the door panels off, it is pretty much down hill.

1) Lay the panel flat face down on something. Use carpet or cardboard to not scuff the surface if you are really particular.

2) (Image 1 - purple circles) unscrew the 2 7mm screws holding the door handle assembly to the door panel.

3) (Image 1 - Green Circles) There are three clips that still hold the escussion to the door panel itself, Use the easy-pry to gently pop off the escussion. I found on mine that if I pulled toward the handle with the pry tool it came off easier than trying to pull outward. Do what you feel comfortable with. (Ref Image 2)

4) Once the door handle assembly is off, you locate the pin that holds the handle on the escussion

5) Use the hammer and the large punch to tap out the pin (Image 3 & 4). I put mine on the corner of a makeshift table. The table cannot be rounded, and you probably want to make sure the table edge gets as close to the pin as possible.

6) use pliers to pull the pin the rest of the way out if you have to.

7) install new handle, There is a small slot that the spring goes into, it is pretty hard to miss, it should just slide together.

8) install pin. Here is where I had a problem with the new pins. I could not get the NEW pin supplied with the handle to go all the way in. So I used the original pins, which worked fine, I still had to tap it all the way down flush with the punch. (Again, on the table, just make sure the table edge corner is close to the pin. It is more difficult than the removal because of where the pin is located on the escussion.)

9) pop in handle assy into door panel and replace the two screws. Make sure the clips are clipped onto the door panel.

10) reinstall door panels.

Done

All in all it took me about 20 min at most to do a single door panel after I did the first one, they are all the same in process, just different pieces.

1-doorhandlescrws.jpg

2-easypry.jpg

3-punch.jpg

4-pinout.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I am not sure if this would work with the 08+ trucks. From what I gathered the part numbers for the assemblies are all the same for 07-14, but for some reason the kit is only good for 2007. Even on GM sites like gmpartsdirect.com it only shows the door handle kits to be good for 2007.

I suspect that they might be the same, but there is the chance that when you purchase a replacement assembly it may be a 2008 assembly that will fit, but the handle is different.

I replaced all 4 door handles for about $30.00 shipped. If I purchased one assembly it would have cost me that... Figured why not just change the handle themselves.

Good luck

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the write-up I was looking for----I'm tackling these handles on both front doors this weekend!
Thanks

OP
OP
O

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was pretty easy to do, just do one and the second one will be done in no time at all. Just be careful. The "easy pry" plastic pry tool is really the trick to the whole thing. I have some others that work too, but this is my go-to.

John

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I had the dealer replace both front d&p chrome door handles on our 08 Den XL last year. They charged $125 for parts/labor. Little f’n chrome handle sliced my daughters hand. I’ll post the part # when I find the ppwk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up just taking some mild sandpaper and knocking down the sharp peeling parts on both front door pulls. Smooth now, and you don't notice the peeling at all visually.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sixteen year old daughter did all four with the help of this post. I had previously shown her how to replace the window motors and switches on another car and turned her loose on the truck with this thread as a guide, she did great! My assistance was limited to drifting out the pins and putting the new handles and pins into the panel to save time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons