Replacing Lower Control Arms: Swap Cast Iron for Aluminum?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawfarm

Reaction score
I need to replace the lower ball joints on my 07 Yukon, which has aluminum front LCA. The bushings are also a bit worn. It will be cheaper AND easier to just replace the full LCA on both sides. Any issue with replacing the aluminum LCA (stock) with cast iron LCA, if using a good part (Moog?)

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I need to replace the lower ball joints on my 07 Yukon, which has aluminum front LCA. The bushings are also a bit worn. It will be cheaper AND easier to just replace the full LCA on both sides. Any issue with replacing the aluminum LCA (stock) with cast iron LCA, if using a good part (Moog?)

Just out of curiosity... is there a reason behind swapping from aluminum to steel?

I believe they use the aluminum control arms for weight reduction on the 4x4s.

OP
OP
L

lawfarm

Reaction score
You can't get aftermarket aluminum LCAs, so it's either rebuild the aluminum, or buy new steel. It's cheaper to buy steel with installed bushings and ball joints than it is to rebuild the aluminum.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
You can't get aftermarket aluminum LCAs, so it's either rebuild the aluminum, or buy new steel. It's cheaper to buy steel with installed bushings and ball joints than it is to rebuild the aluminum.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...8/chevrolet/suburban-1500?fitAttr_10039=Lower

Front Driver Side Aluminum Lower Control Arm Assembly w/Ball Joint - Off-Road - Detroit Axle
https://www.detroitaxle.com/shop/su...er-control-arm-assembly-wball-joint-off-road/

Quick search turned these up.... I hope it helps.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need aftermarket. You need OE replacements either from a dealer or an online GM specific retailer.
I recently replaced mine. Found a great deal on them too.
Google the part numbers and find the best deal.

Part #s
GM OEM Front-Lower Control Arm 25997509
GM OEM Front-Lower Control Arm 25997510
EDIT: sorry, didn't see this but, kbuskill also provided some great links

OP
OP
L

lawfarm

Reaction score
FWIW, the steel LCA are a direct replacement for the aluminum. The webbing for the lower strut bolts is a bit thinner, but otherwise, it's a direct bolt-in.

I was able to get new Moog steel LCA and save about $170 as compared to aluminum ones. It'll take a long time to get back $170 in fuel savings from the aluminum...

Ledesordre

Reaction score
Not to bump an old thread, but I'm looking at doing this also. Does anyone know approximately how much weight difference there is per LCA? alu vs steel

Want to see how much I'd gain in weight going from alu to steel to save cash on the repair. I don't care about the weight savings if its only marginally different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14