Replacing dash speakers - use crossovers or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

momofx

Reaction score
I'm currently replacing all the factory Bose speakers and was wondering if I have to use the passive crossovers / "bass blockers" that the aftermarket (Pioneer) speakers come with?

I'm thinking that I do not have to use them since GM did not use them on their speakers, there has to be some sort of active frequency crossover running thru the factory amplifier that is sending the proper frequencies to the tweeters, mids, etc... Correct me if I'm wrong.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really up on the latest Bose equipment, have to see a wiring diagram, but I'd guess the mids and highs would go to the dash speakers and the serious bass would be to a separate powered woofer in the back or under a seat somewhere. Early Bose systems had an amp at each speaker tuned to that speaker. What happened to the OE speakers? Usually pretty rugged stuff.

OP
OP
M

momofx

Reaction score
For anyone looking for the wiring diagram... Not my document, but thought I'd share

:)

So it appears, the front and rear doors have the main woofer and tweeters together but the mids in the front doors are on their own hmmm... Seems like the dash speakers are part of the (dvd) surround system and also the chimes... Now this makes it tricky... Seem like its best to just leave the 3 dash speakers connected to the factory amp.

Attachments

• Sound Systems - Premium Radio Circuit (W_ Surround Amplifier & Audio Phile) (Radio, Stereo, an...pdf
    740 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14