Replacing Blower Motor Resistor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
that relays determines if slower speeds on blower from switch and resistor work or it connects directly to system voltage for high speed. you have a multimeter around I presume.

swensor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Problem solved! After cleaning the contacts on the plug from the wiring harness that goes to the switch, I silver soldered the contacts, as they looked a bit heat damaged. When I plugged everything back together, eureka! In retrospect, I didn't need the resistor or the relay, but still saved a couple hundred $ over what the dealer estimated it would cost to have it repaired.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
They actually sell those pigtails with terminals and connector if it will make you feel better about perhaps just replacing it. They get burned up becuase of the current and vibration.

jathon0815

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had to replace this the other day on my '97 Tahoe LT (4DR) and couldn't find a thread with pictures, so, here goes...

Tools:

• 7mm Wrench
  • 7mm Socket (1/4" Drive)
  • 1/4" Drive Ratchet (small as you can find)
  • New blower motor resistor ($17 at O'Reilly's)

1. Gain access to the resistor by pushing in on the right side of the opened glove box. With a little effort, it should drop free. Lift it up off the hinges and set it out of the way.

View attachment 4593

2. Looking through the glove box opening, you can see the HVAC box. Look on top of the HVAC box and a little to the left and you will see the blower motor resistor mounted snuggly.

View attachment 4594

3. Unplug the electrical connector and begin removing the screws. I found it easier to start with the 7mm wrench to get it loose and then squeeze the ratchet in there to screw it out the rest of the way. There is a third screw on the front of the metal bracket to the left that will have come out as well.

View attachment 4595

View attachment 4596

4. After removing the three screws and the metal bracket, pull the old resistor out, tilting it sideways and then sliding it toward you. You might bend the coils a little but this is ok.

5. Your new resistor should come with a new gasket. Do not forget to put this on the new resistor. Tilt the new resistor sideways and slide it into position carefully (you might have to bend the coils gently again). Make sure it seats properly.

6. Reinstall the two screws holding it in place (start with the wrench and tighten with the ratchet) and plug the electrical connector back in. If you want, you can reinstall the useless metal bracket. I left it out. I think it's suppose to hold a relay and the resistor in place, but I didn't see a need for it.

7. Set your glove box back on the hinges and slam it closed. Your done.

Now go have a beer.

I had this same issue. Only the HI setting on my blower switch worked. Found this thread and forum via an Intarwebs search. Saved me a trip to the Stealer-ship. Thank you and the pictures helped a ton!

MarcT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you to the OP. This procedure worked great, it saved me a bundle of $$ and/or a real hassle. The service manual has a procedure that has you jumping all over the books ands taking half the dash apart. If I hadn't found this I would have taken it in.
Only downside was losing one screw down the backside of the heater case due to fat fingers...

OP
OP
N

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem gentlemen, that's what this forum is for. :)

Only downside was losing one screw down the backside of the heater case due to fat fingers...

Lol. I have that same problem sometimes....

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this a few months back, its pretty straight forward just looked it up on YouTube its such a pain to get back there

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Scoregasm12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
are all speeds dead?
and what year?

I realize this is a old thread, but am hoping for any advice. I have a 95 tahoe. My blower just stopped working and prior to that my blower wouldn't work on 3 but all else worked fine. I replaced the resister for that reason the 3 not working. still nothing, so replaced my motor and fan, still nothing checked my control panel the wiring for the fan were fried so i replaced that as well and still no power to the motor. All fuses were perfectly fine as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17