Replacement of Lift Gate Glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morning,

I bought a 2017 Tahoe LT that was a theft and the rear glass was broken out. I bought the replacement glass and trying to determine the best way to approach this process? My question is:

Is it easier to replace with spoiler attached or replace glass then attach spoiler?

Feedback much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morning,

I bought a 2017 Tahoe LT that was a theft and the rear glass was broken out. I bought the replacement glass and trying to determine the best way to approach this process? My question is:

Is it easier to replace with spoiler attached or replace glass then attach spoiler?

Feedback much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim

If it were me, I would mount the spoiler after the glass was installed.

That’s what I found worked best on my ‘07 and they look to be very similar in overall design of how they mount.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that is kinda what I was thinking as well after I looked it over but I wanted to see what people smarter than me thought!

Again Thanks - the forum has and continues to be a tremendously valuable source of info.

Tim

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see what people smarter than me thought!

Ha!

Remember, there is a difference between being smart and having experience.

Reminds me of when an older guy explained the difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents,

As an FYI - finished the rear glass replacement project in these steps.

1. Removed spoiler - had to drop the rear inside trim to access the brake light and washer fluid line connections. The trim was a little tough coming off at first but was able to pull it down enough to get a long skinny flat head screwdriver to the clips and pop them so they didn't break. Only popped the front3-4 s it was just enough to get to the connection. Because the window was shattered the hinges came off with the spoiler

2. Installed the glass. A word of caution be careful with the little half moon slides that go onto the hinges. If one pops off or you drop one they are tough to find! I put a little grease on the hing rod so they would go on easier than they came off. I then installed the lift supports.

3. Replaced the spoiler. Another word to the wise, make sure you feed the brake light and fluid lines down through the opening before you tighten the spoiler down to the glass. Figured that out after I attached it to the glass. I tighten the spoiler to the hinges first, the the glass to the spoiler and slowly tighten each screw in a circular fashion till they were all tight. I didn't look up the torque requirement but probably should have - I only snugged them and then another half turn. Didn't want to a chance on cracking the glass.

Not a tough job but was a little time consuming as I hadn't done it before, probably took an hour or so in all.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gents,

As an FYI - finished the rear glass replacement project in these steps.

1. Removed spoiler - had to drop the rear inside trim to access the brake light and washer fluid line connections. The trim was a little tough coming off at first but was able to pull it down enough to get a long skinny flat head screwdriver to the clips and pop them so they didn't break. Only popped the front3-4 s it was just enough to get to the connection. Because the window was shattered the hinges came off with the spoiler

2. Installed the glass. A word of caution be careful with the little half moon slides that go onto the hinges. If one pops off or you drop one they are tough to find! I put a little grease on the hing rod so they would go on easier than they came off. I then installed the lift supports.

3. Replaced the spoiler. Another word to the wise, make sure you feed the brake light and fluid lines down through the opening before you tighten the spoiler down to the glass. Figured that out after I attached it to the glass. I tighten the spoiler to the hinges first, the the glass to the spoiler and slowly tighten each screw in a circular fashion till they were all tight. I didn't look up the torque requirement but probably should have - I only snugged them and then another half turn. Didn't want to a chance on cracking the glass.

Not a tough job but was a little time consuming as I hadn't done it before, probably took an hour or so in all.
Sounds like a job well done.
Thanks for the detailed write-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne