Replaced the stock sub... odd issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARogg619

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So about 2 months ago I replaced my blown stock subwoofer with a kicker 8" in the stock box. Its not winning any stereo competitions or anything but its not too bad. There are days when it really bumps as if I had a nice single 10 or 12 in its own box black there. But then there are days when it sounds like shit. I checked my connections and everything seems fine and tight. Is there any reason the sub sound would vary so much day to day? It sucks because sometimes I get to drive around and bump and other times it sounds terrible and ruins the experience lol. When its hitting right, it hits real nice lows and no distortion, when its having a bad day, I barely want music on. Any ideas?

-Adam

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi. You stated that you checked all connections. Did you check where the wires themselves go into the connectors (like in a crimped attachment into the connector) to ensure that they are solid? Sounding good sometimes, and sounding like crap other times, sounds like an intermittent electrical connection issue.

Or, the power amp itself is starting to fail, perhaps overheating first, and going into a safety low power mode.

I am not familiar with the stock setup, as I ripped out and replaced all the stock Bose components, as soon as I purchased the truck. Other folks on this Forum, who are more familiar with the stock audio setup, will chime in with their suggestions and perspectives.

Good luck on getting a quick fix. I know what it is like not to have tunes, and it sucks.

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I didn't add any amps or wiring so you are probably right on the first part with it just being a connection. Ill have to double check those again this weekend.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So about 2 months ago I replaced my blown stock subwoofer with a kicker 8" in the stock box. Its not winning any stereo competitions or anything but its not too bad. There are days when it really bumps as if I had a nice single 10 or 12 in its own box black there. But then there are days when it sounds like shit. I checked my connections and everything seems fine and tight. Is there any reason the sub sound would vary so much day to day? It sucks because sometimes I get to drive around and bump and other times it sounds terrible and ruins the experience lol. When its hitting right, it hits real nice lows and no distortion, when its having a bad day, I barely want music on. Any ideas?

-Adam

The stock "dumb" amp tones down the base to protect the speakers if the volume is too high. @kbuskill @iamdub

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
this is just normal volume levels. Im leaning towards a loose connection somewhere but I checked them already but im gonna pull it apart again this weekend.

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
this is just normal volume levels. Im leaning towards a loose connection somewhere but I checked them already but im gonna pull it apart again this weekend.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the new woofer the same or higher impedance as the original?

A post amp signal wire connection issue will result in a woofer that works/not works. If a pre-amp signal chnl drops out, the woofers output will be reduced. The one exception would be if you used a dual voice coil woofer and the poor connection is on jumper wires between the coils. one coil dropping out will also result in a reduction of woofer output.

Beyond a loose pre-amp connection, it could be a failing head unit or amp.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Bose setup and Sub in the GMT800 trucks. I can only assume that they are similar to the GMT900 trucks.

In the GMT900, the sub is under the center console and is a dual voice coil sub that has 2 channels from the amp. 6 channels total for the "dumb" amp.

2 front, 2 rear, 2 sub.

I realize that the GMT800 trucks have the sub in the rear but I assume it is still dual voice coil.

Can you verify?

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like where Wylie_Tahoe was directing you. The odd thing would be if this started right after replacing the sub. You probably wouldn't have anything to compare to since the original sub was blown, though.

1) Verify the impedance and voice coil arrangement of the sub

2) You have to compare apples to apples. You said some days it's sounds good and other days you almost don't even want it on. What about within the same day and same style of music? Have you compared it when playing from the same source? What does the rest of your sound system consist of? Broadcasting via FM modulator and/or Bluetooth can really degrade sound quality. Playing from an MP3 file that has been overly compressed can degrade as well.

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
You guys are correct that I don't have anything to compare it to because the stock one was literally shredded. Ive tested it on the same cds, same radio stations and still have the varying sound. Yes, the new sub matches the stock sub impedence,i remember that for sure. Its gotta be a connection. This morning it sounded prefect driving into work BTW lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts