Replaced Tehcm now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stang0303

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Replaced with new tehcm. Still did not fix issues. Car will barely move then check engine light comes on and it seems to work in 4th gear only. I can drive hwy speeds no problem. Slow starts since its in 4th gear. Im thinking it needs trans rebuild now. Weird thing is no metal shavings in fluid. And if it was a pump issue wouldn't 4th through 6th gear not work? The fluid after just replacing it was dark grey and black when i put it in see thru container. Clutches? I was hoping not to spend $3000 on a rebuild. Any other suggestions?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so P2723 says Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid #5 is Stuck Off. This is same code from before replacing TCM? Did you do all of this?:

CIRCUIT/SYSTEM VERIFICATION

1. Perform the Transmission Fluid Check .
2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
3. Record the DTC Freeze Frame and Failure Records.
4. Clear the DTC.
5. Operate the vehicle in drive with the calculated throttle position greater than 15 percent to obtain 72 km/h
(45 mph) and achieve 5th gear. Perform this maneuver 2 times.
 If the DTC resets, go to Circuit/System Testing.

CIRCUIT/SYSTEM TESTING
1. Perform the Line Pressure Check .
 If the pressure is out of specification, correct this concern first.
2. Perform the Control Solenoid Valve and Transmission Control Module Assembly Cleaning and retest
the DTC as outlined in the Circuit/System Verification steps.
 If the DTC resets, continue on with testing.
3. Perform the Control Solenoid Valve and Transmission Control Module Assembly Inspection .
 If a concern is found, repair or replace the control solenoid (w/body and TCM) valve assembly.
4. Perform the Control Solenoid Valve and Transmission Control Module Assembly Solenoid
Performance Test .
 If the solenoid is found to be leaking or stuck closed, replace the control solenoid (w/body and
TCM) valve assembly.
5. Inspect the control valve upper body assembly for sticking valves, damage, scored bores, or debris.
 If a concern if found in the valve body, repair or replace the valve body as necessary.
6. Inspect the 1-2-3-4 clutch assembly for damage.
 If a concern is found in the 1-2-3-4 clutch assembly, repair or replace as necessary.

COMPONENT TESTING
Perform the Control Solenoid Valve and Transmission Control Module Assembly Inspection .
PC Sol 5 Operation
IMPORTANT: Before clearing the DTC, use the scan tool in order to record the Freeze
Frame and Failure Records.
Operating Conditions Normal Operation Stuck OFF Stuck ON
Steady State Gears 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4 Neutral 1, 2, 3, 4

REPAIR PROCEDURES

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.
 Control valve body replacement. Refer to Control Valve Lower Body and Upper Body Replacement .
 Control solenoid (w/body and TCM) valve assembly replacement. Refer to Control Module References
for replacement, setup, and programming.
 1-2-3-4 clutch assembly repair or replace. Refer to 1-2-3-4 and 3-5 Reverse Clutch Overhaul
(6L50/6L80) or 1-2-3-4 and 3-5 Reverse Clutch Overhaul (6L90) .
 Perform the Service Fast Learn Adapts if internal transmission repairs are performed.

OP
OP
S

stang0303

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did most of those test amd from yhe information i gathered from a transmission guy he said there was a problem with the valves that they are made of ceramic and thr bore is aluminum and over time they just dont last. He said hes been gettibg alot of 6l80es. I replaced the Tehcm with a dorman remanufactured one. He said he stopped using those becausd he would get maybe 5 our of 20 that where good. He didnt think that was my problem though. Im guessing in a last ditch effort i could ask dorman for another tehcm and replace the valve body. Idk if im jist guessing though at this point. Maybe i just bite the bullet and get it rebuilt. $3k later

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did most of those test amd from yhe information i gathered from a transmission guy he said there was a problem with the valves that they are made of ceramic and thr bore is aluminum and over time they just dont last. He said hes been gettibg alot of 6l80es. I replaced the Tehcm with a dorman remanufactured one. He said he stopped using those becausd he would get maybe 5 our of 20 that where good. He didnt think that was my problem though. Im guessing in a last ditch effort i could ask dorman for another tehcm and replace the valve body. Idk if im jist guessing though at this point. Maybe i just bite the bullet and get it rebuilt. $3k later

Well the code and problem has to do with the TCM which you replaced so I reckon this one is no good too. Once you take it out, you could have your trans guy test it at his shop or have him test the replacement before you go to install it. I forget what the tool is called, not the Tech2, that tests the TCM out of the transmission.

OP
OP
S

stang0303

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
He said this. No sir, vehicle install is the only way to truly test solenoids in a working environment. I said any chance it could still be a bad tehcm. He said Yes it's possible, but unlikely... if TECHM is/ was bad, the clutch slipping like that, it's definitely a problem in transmission. Sorry. ( i sent him a video of what it was doing)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, there is a tool to test them. Just looked it up, Solenoid Performance Test Block DT47825. I think this is same tool I saw in shop manual. Looking right now in AllDataDIY. Keep us posted and sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.

Butane_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, there is a tool to test them. Just looked it up, Solenoid Performance Test Block DT47825. I think this is same tool I saw in shop manual. Looking right now in AllDataDIY. Keep us posted and sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.
Sorry for resurrecting a 3 year old thread OP but I am currently dealing with the same issue. A new TCM and a p2723. The vehicle barely engages 1st gear, sometimes not at all. Once it gets going 3-4-5-6 all work fine.

I was told it's probably the 1-2-3-4 clutch plate or the 3-5-R plate because the TCM checks out fine.

Mind sharing what ended up being the problem?

Appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy