Replace rear glass button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fucla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, how do you get the old one out?
A screwdriver and prayers not to mess up the paint job. Or you can dismantle the inner panel and unbolt that cover from the inside. Look at the new one when you get it you will see the locking tabs one on each side. There is a YouTube video on it.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also need to watch if you are popping it out with a screw driver the plug for it barely fits through the hole and if you aren’t careful enough when you unplug it it can leave the cord dangling inside he hole. Use a screwdriver and a pick to work it out of the hole and unplug it.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, how do you get the old one out?

I brutalized it. The button membrane had fallen off, so I could see up into the button. There are two tabs that lock it into the hole. I basically started grabbing plastic bits with needle-nose pliers, trying to twist it then ultimately just ripping out chunks of plastic until it was finally weakened and came out. I didn't want to use a screwdriver for fear of damaging the paint, and it's way too much time and complication to take apart the tailgate handle. Finessed brutality is probably the best way to describe it.

There are some youtube videos as well on how to do it.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine in the mail.. nice 5 minute repair... now I have a button I didn't know I was suppose to have.
Crazy though, the wiring for mine was extremely short, almost couldn't get the plug on, and almost lost the plug into the hatch.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got mine in the mail.. nice 5 minute repair... now I have a button I didn't know I was suppose to have.
Crazy though, the wiring for mine was extremely short, almost couldn't get the plug on, and almost lost the plug into the hatch.

Yep, really got to be careful with that plug!

hound_dog

Reaction score
I just replaced mine last week. I saw the mentions of the wires being very short and the possibility of pushing it up into the body while trying to connect the new button. So to prevent that, I got a piece of string and ran it through one of the holes in the clip. That way I could have a good hold on it while I attached the new button. Worked great and I was able to slip the string out easily. Hope that helps someone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny