Replace rack and pinion bushings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is some slop when sawing the steering wheel, everything else looks good and tight. I have found the bushings online, but cannot find any reference to anyone actually replacing them. 2 of the bushings look like a press fit with metal sleeves. Anyone done this in the driveway, without completely pulling the rack?

Thanks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is some slop when sawing the steering wheel, everything else looks good and tight. I have found the bushings online, but cannot find any reference to anyone actually replacing them. 2 of the bushings look like a press fit with metal sleeves. Anyone done this in the driveway, without completely pulling the rack?

Thanks.

His name is on the tip of my tongue so to speak, a fella on here did it in the last year or so. I can see his avatar but my brain ain't making the connection. Oh well, he'll be along soon enough or you can search.

If I remember right, he did pull the rack and took photos of the work with a press I think.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, it's probably less work and hassle to just swap the whole rack out and get an alignment. It was really easy on my 03

OP
OP
GCATX

GCATX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bummer. Looks like reman rack is around $500, bushings are less than $50. I have a balljoint press, not sure if there is enough room to use it under the truck. Thanks for the replies.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm, didn't know the oe was that much on the nnbs, looks like rockauto has it for $419 and a core, the one for my 03 was only $150.00 I still ended up just yanking one out of the junkyard I think it cost me $60-75

rack.JPG

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure if they sell the bushings then it can be done, you might try looking on youtube for video's to get an idea of what you are in for.

OP
OP
GCATX

GCATX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sure if they sell the bushings then it can be done, you might try looking on youtube for video's to get an idea of what you are in for.

Tried for a while. Didn't see anything but stuff for 4 runners. lol.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I'm gambling that this is going to be the standard basic procedure for all brands right here

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like the passenger side can be slid off after the boot is removed, the drivers side will have to be pushed out similar to what the video shows