Replace lower ball joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
What issues did you run into. Did my UCAs and lower balls joins a few months ago and looked about the same as that first thread you posted. Mine is an 07 SSV.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I've seen the topic here, which although helpful,...
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/how-to-repllace-upper-lower-ball-joints-on-nnbs-tahoe.46406/

...did not go quite as planned for me when doing it for the first time. There are some PPV-specific differences unless I missed something.
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=534862

I am not sure that those are PPV specific control arms.

When you look up ball joints for the 07-14 gmt-900 platform that is NON PPV/SSV specific it lists the ball joints for steel OR aluminum control arms.

The guy in the first post you linked to installed the WRONG ball joints in his aluminum control arms which is why I asked him about it in that thread. I am shocked that no one else has ever noticed that or mentioned it before, that is why he couldn't seat it far enough to get the clip installed because the aluminum arms are thicker than the steel arms for obvious reasons.

They install the aluminum arms on a lot of 4x4 trucks to reduce the weight up front.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are not. The difference is simply aluminum vs. steel.

FYI, the OEM aluminum LCAs aren't that expensive from GM. I purchased all four control arms to swap onto our PPV. The plan is to replace the bushings and ball joints on the take-offs so we have them for spares.

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note: I have a non PPV 09 LT......

However I'm about to do a total front end rebuild.....

seems most pp opt to bang out the Lower Ball Joint out of the LCA.....Once I saw how inexpensive the Lower Control Arms/Ball joints assemblies were, that just became a no-brainer to me...for about $40 per side price difference to save me 3-4 hours of beating and hammering...I'm in!!. The AC delco LCA was about $75 amazon prime vs. $30 for just the lower ball joint.

- I just received the UCA, LCA, and sway bar links yesterday...I went with either AC delco or moog parts, just waiting on the inner/outer Tie Rods today....if the weather cooperates installation should be today or tomorrow.

I will be renting a tie rod inner removal tool today, my biggest concern about doing this job is just the removal of lower ball joint from the Hub carrier...finger crossed its just below grease.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Note: I have a non PPV 09 LT......

However I'm about to do a total front end rebuild.....

seems most pp opt to bang out the Lower Ball Joint out of the LCA.....Once I saw how inexpensive the Lower Control Arms/Ball joints assemblies were, that just became a no-brainer to me...for about $40 per side price difference to save me 3-4 hours of beating and hammering...I'm in!!. The AC delco LCA was about $75 amazon prime vs. $30 for just the lower ball joint.

- I just received the UCA, LCA, and sway bar links yesterday...I went with either AC delco or moog parts, just waiting on the inner/outer Tie Rods today....if the weather cooperates installation should be today or tomorrow.

I will be renting a tie rod inner removal tool today, my biggest concern about doing this job is just the removal of lower ball joint from the Hub carrier...finger crossed its just below grease.

A pickle fork will work to separate the Lower ball joint from the spindle but the easiest way is to loosen the nut but leave it on the ball joint stud a few turns and then smack the shit out of the side of the spindle right where the ball joint goes through... It should pop loose but leaving the nut on keeps things from going flying.

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A pickle fork will work to separate the Lower ball joint from the spindle but the easiest way is to loosen the nut but leave it on the ball joint stud a few turns and then smack the shit out of the side of the spindle right where the ball joint goes through... It should pop loose but leaving the nut on keeps things from going flying.

Yes, perfect thanks for the conformation....

I went and rented the inner tie-rod tool however several parts didn't show today...In fact one of the boxes from UPS according to tracking info said it was already delivered, so I called amazon and explained the details...Amazon didn't believe UPS, and hence has reissued a new part out today...thats hell of customer service.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The problem with the lower control arm configuration on the Tahoe is that since the ball joint stud goes down through the hole in the spindle, using spring tension to break the connection loose with the BFH trick works against you. When we did the drop on our Tahoe, I ended up having to use a ball joint press, kind of backwards, putting pressure on the ball joint stud, then whacking the snot out of the spindle to get it to break loose. All sorts of wailing on the spindle with a hand sledge wasn't working for me.

I guess I should have taken a picture of the configuration, because it's kind of unique to the NNBS truck.

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...having attempted to do this yesterday, I'm convinced its the size of the hammer which might matter most......my hammer was grossly inadequate:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17