Repeating fuel pump failure

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by singletrackboy, Jul 11, 2018 at 8:29 AM.

1. singletrackboy

singletrackboy TYF Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    I just can’t figure this out. I’ve replaced the fuel pump 4 times now in 8 months. I’ve done the job twice, I’ve had two different shops replace the pump as well. Every time a new filter and this last one, which was installed 2 weeks ago by a local shop, they said the tank was cleaned and should be fine. It ran great, until it failed again yesterday. Each time it was blamed on “a bad pump” but how can his keep happening?! ACDelco and Delphi. Any tips? I can’t just keep pouring money at this same problem over and over.

2. YAMBAG

YAMBAG Member

Name:
    BRAD
    Have you checked the voltage at the pump? An under powered pump will not last long. Check the output voltage at the relay. Check it at the rear near the tank as well.

3. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Yes, you've got to check for a restriction in the fuel line that would strain the pump and more importantly as Brad mentioned, check the voltage against what it is supposed to be. Also, examine how the pump is wired up and made sure it is done right.

4. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    I understand it's a pain, but..... if you have the dealer replace the pump it is considered a "mr goodwrench" service and then falls under a lifetime warranty, nationwide. same for water pumps and a few other limited items.

RED TAHOE LS and swathdiver like this.
  5. RED TAHOE LS

RED TAHOE LS Full Access Member

Name:
    David
    Whomever is replacing the pump, warranty should be included. You mentioned the last time (after tank cleaning) it was fine for a time then it happened again, looks like you found your problem. Sounds to me like trash in the fuel tank, get yourself another tank ( used ok) just take it yourself to radiator shop and have them put in their tank and clean, DON'T TAKE SOMEONE'S WORD.
    . Just had my 2nd one replaced, it lasted five (5) years and around 40k miles(AC Delco

swathdiver likes this.
  6. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    unless you get it done by someone that offers PARTS & LABOR warranty then your only going to be covered for the pump, labor is still charged and these shop's like to sock it to you for dropping the tank even though it's not that hard.