Removing Roof Rack... Some questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RMP91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm planning on de-'racking my '00 Tahoe LS 4x4 and I've read that you can risk ruining your interior from water damage if you don't do it right (plugging the holes, that is).

Has anyone done it here? How did you do it? Any $ involved? How did you cover and plug the holes in the roof without making them stand out or leak?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

-Ryan

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stainless button heads from Lowes W/Silicone

I'm planning on de-'racking --plugging the holes, that is.

-Ryan

Hey Ryan,

I just did it, get 10 of these from Lowes:

IMGP0846.jpg

I cleaned the holes with alcohol wipes and put a dab of silicone on the screws before tightening in.

IMGP0841.jpg

Done:

IMGP0849.jpg

:thumbsup:

ashelm

Reaction score
I did mine last year. Went to the auto glass store and ask them if they would fill the holes with there window sealer and they said they did not want to do it BUT they would GIVE me a tube of sealer and I could do it. DUPONT # U-418 Quick Cure Primer less Auto Glass Urethane Adhesive. You know how well your front window seals. This is the same stuff!!! It is black color. Scott

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went and got some way shorter screws to put in there nothing else haven't had a single problem been a few months since I've done it

OP
OP
R

RMP91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I forgot to say that I want to be able to reinstall the roof rack if circumstances require it. So actually "sealing" the holes permanently is not an option for me.

But I like the ideas you've presented. I'll give it a go after the New Year when it ain't so busy around here...

-Ryan

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Always go the spiked route :hmm: Have had mine for few years, they screw in and sealed, but still able to remove if ever wanted. I also may want to use my rack again and didn't want them permanent. Haven't had issues with water or anything.
20131224_193827_LLS_zpswwikdk8y.jpg

But you can see others have used many different things. Screws/bolts, button head, allen head, flush ect. Plastic caps and supposedly make a specific cap used for PPV vehicles. Could do a rubber strip or seal to cover over all holes. Just depends on how you want to cover them up.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always go the spiked route :hmm: Have had mine for few years, they screw in and sealed, but still able to remove if ever wanted. I also may want to use my rack again and didn't want them permanent. Haven't had issues with water or anything.
20131224_193827_LLS_zpswwikdk8y.jpg

But you can see others have used many different things. Screws/bolts, button head, allen head, flush ect. Plastic caps and supposedly make a specific cap used for PPV vehicles. Could do a rubber strip or seal to cover over all holes. Just depends on how you want to cover them up.
Where did you get the spikes at?

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I made them. I didn't actually make the spikes themselves. I got them locally, but they also sell them online. Just had to drill and tap for correct size bolts. Made a set for someone else few yrs back when I made mine, idk who tho.. Mike (tahoewhat) is making some similar, supposedly!! Giving hard time Mike.
Just wanted something different.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made them. I didn't actually make the spikes themselves. I got them locally, but they also sell them online. Just had to drill and tap for correct size bolts. Made a set for someone else few yrs back when I made mine, idk who tho.. Mike (tahoewhat) is making some similar, supposedly!! Giving hard time Mike.
Just wanted something different.

Lol. all good man. But yes, i have been messing with the idea of putting spikes up there. Its different and unique. Mine will be tad different than Whiteouts though.

But alot has been stated as most do to cover the holes up. I myself put inset screws in, they mount flush and then put some sealant on top and have no issues w/ water at all. But you can see where the bolts go. But, im pretty low though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore