Removing one catalytic converter instead of both

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gucci2074

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys I wanna start off by saying please don’t tell me how dumb I am or stupid it is to take a catalytic converter off I’ve already heard it enough. I also know it’s illegal and all that but I just am curious about this. So since I removed the driver side only instead of both of them I was wondering is it bad to remove one instead of both? Will it hurt the engine at all long term or anything like that? Should I just take both out? I hear some people talk about it’s not good to have two different back pressures but I hear a lot of different things. Any comments are appreciated thank y’all. I have a 2005 Tahoe it has 266k miles and has been running good since I took them off just like before maybe even better.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think of your V8 as two 4 cylinder engines. So the computer system will adjust each bank, they'll each be making different power. Not much different.

Is it bad? I don't think so. Is it weird? Yeah, I think so. Do what you want and keep an eye on it.

I remember the days when we used to gut the cats, the exhaust stunk, that's the main reason I didn't do it.

OP
OP
G

Gucci2074

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Think of your V8 as two 4 cylinder engines. So the computer system will adjust each bank, they'll each be making different power. Not much different.

Is it bad? I don't think so. Is it weird? Yeah, I think so. Do what you want and keep an eye on it.

I remember the days when we used to gut the cats, the exhaust stunk, that's the main reason I didn't do it.
The two different powers completely makes sense and gives me an understanding. The exhaust stinking is true but I don’t mind it too much. I just love how obnoxious it is it’s honestly kind of funny seeing the look on peoples faces. I don’t really mean to be a ******* even though I probably am being one with the loud ass exhaust but I love it. Thanks for giving me a reply though man I appreciate it.

mikeseay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two different powers completely makes sense and gives me an understanding. The exhaust stinking is true but I don’t mind it too much. I just love how obnoxious it is it’s honestly kind of funny seeing the look on peoples faces. I don’t really mean to be a ******* even though I probably am being one with the loud ass exhaust but I love it. Thanks for giving me a reply though man I appreciate it.
I removed them from my 2005 Escalade and really the extra noise wasn’t that much. After reading on here and other sites I was expecting much worse. None of my neighbors or family mentioned it. Was thinking of putting new mufflers on but with dual inlets and dual outputs on the factory mufflers I left it alone.
Doing my 2005 Denali next (same muffler setup) may add an x pipe closer to the muffler if space allows.
Also doing the 2009 Yukon I bought (after the transmission shop swaps out the 6l80).

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed them from my 2005 Escalade and really the extra noise wasn’t that much. After reading on here and other sites I was expecting much worse. None of my neighbors or family mentioned it. Was thinking of putting new mufflers on but with dual inlets and dual outputs on the factory mufflers I left it alone.
Doing my 2005 Denali next (same muffler setup) may add an x pipe closer to the muffler if space allows.
Also doing the 2009 Yukon I bought (after the transmission shop swaps out the 6l80).
Built-in security measure... If they are not there, the cats can't be stolen!
In MA, we could fail RMV inspection. Even though I am not required to undergo emissions testing, any vehicle that was manufactured with cats has to still have them.
There's no winning.

I would love to be in in SC, FL, GA or TX, where you can do almost anything with lifts, tires, tints or exhaust.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you on the loud exhaust. I just love it. Fortunately, I do not have neighbors near me, so I don't have to worry about bothering them. I just like the loud sound, and how it changes with the amount of gas pedal I give it.

mikeseay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did my 05 Denali today. I have a Black Bear tune on it and it really has ran real well since I’ve owned it 5 years now. After the tune it was a lot more responsive and today with the cats removed it perked up even more. Didn’t think the cats were holding it back, it ran really well but after today I can only I guess my cats were stopped up some. I highly recommend removing them if you can.

OP
OP
G

Gucci2074

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hear you on the loud exhaust. I just love it. Fortunately, I do not have neighbors near me, so I don't have to worry about bothering them. I just like the loud sound, and how it changes with the amount of gas pedal I give it.
Update: I removed the other and it feels even better and more powerful. I love hearing that 5.3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727