Removing ECM safely

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With regards to getting this information you don't necessarily need to spend more than about $20. A Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and an android app can read this. It is a standard service $09 request to the ECM. (This device will NOT do the Crank angle sensor error relearn)

I use a VeePeak Mini Bluetooth adapter and the OBD Fusion app for this.

View attachment 273348 View attachment 273349 View attachment 273350

Thanks. May be a little more than we are willing to try to learn. But IF we do, appreciate the info.

Husband thought the crank angle sensor error relearn happens as you drive the vehicle for a bit after you plug back in the newly modified ECM...or is that something you have to have done by a service?

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, ok I was wondering what Tech 2 was in reference to....this is going way over my head. Husband said he prefers working on older vehicles with not so much tech. I concur lol. But I read him the list of available calibrations for our vehicle and he didn't seem to think any on those were make or break. I'm wondering if when the 90k service was done if the service techs generally include or offer to update. We may give them a call to see if they do (extra services, more money, think if they could, they would push that added service...)

The only way to know if you have the updated calibrations is to have the scan tool pull them up and then compare that list to what ACDelco has listed for your VIN. GM doesn't recommend updating just for the sake of updating, if your car runs fine without the update, don't bother.

The nice thing about the Tech-2 is that it is the most important tool in the toolbox, it tells you (along with shop manual) what needs doing without any guess work for the most part. I too like the simplicity of yesteryear's cars but which would be more comfortable to drive in everyday or across country, your Tahoe or an old 1980s Suburban? I'm too old and rickety for the former anymore!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Husband thought the crank error sensor error relearn happens as you drive the vehicle for a bit after you plug back in the newly modified ECM...or is that something you have to have done by a service?

Nope, need the Tech-2 or other bi-directional scan tool. See, the Tech-2 is already paying for itself in your case! LOL

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to know if you have the updated calibrations is to have the scan tool pull them up and then compare that list to what ACDelco has listed for your VIN. GM doesn't recommend updating just for the sake of updating, if your car runs fine without the update, don't bother.

The nice thing about the Tech-2 is that it is the most important tool in the toolbox, it tells you (along with shop manual) what needs doing without any guess work for the most part. I too like the simplicity of yesteryear's cars but which would be more comfortable to drive in everyday or across country, your Tahoe or an old 1980s Suburban? I'm too old and rickety for the former anymore!

Agree!!! We won't tent camp anymore for the same reason haha. Yes, our first used bare bones sub we bought 20+ years had no headliner, just bare metal, so when it rained, or goodness hailed, you couldn't hear the person next to you.

Glad to hear about updates not necessarily being needed. Honestly feel like I keep unearthing more info than I need with each "little" fix.

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use of a "ground strap" is critical IMO. To easy to mess up without it and all the info for cleaning the connectors is also important. Make sure pin alignment is correct as well. Check all female connectors to be sure they stay in the connector holder if pushed from the pin side. There have been times where when plugging everything together causes a female connector to push out of the holder. That causes either no connection or intermittent connection issues. If you have watched just one you tube about all this, do yourself a favor and watch a few and compare them.

Where would the ground strap be placed?

Tried to find more videos and didn't see many for 3rd gen Tahoes. Are all ECM configurations similar enough to view videos for other makes/models?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A ground strap is typically attached as a wrap around the arm of the tech and then clips to the metal under the dash or wherever the tech is. It grounds the tech to the vehicle. There are you tube videos about this. Static electricity can damage an ECM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14