Removable luggage rack - what gives?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BauerTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone used the “stock luggage rack” and what do you use it for? I took mine off for looks but would like to start using it for travel with the family. I never see any Tahoe users with stock but always aftermarket when having anything up top being used.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't speak to the 2015-2020 vehicles, but I have used the stock cross bars on my NNBS vehicles quite a few times to mount my Thule Evolution luggage carrier. Just need to pay attention weight limits, but never had an issue.

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the TYForum!

Yes, I currently use the OE roof cross rails. They have a weight limit rating of approx. 150 lbs., though I'm sure I've pushed that a little once or twice.
My Tahoe OE roof rails have 1 forward crossbar location (above front seats) and 2 rear positions (rear passenger seats and about a foot more back towards rear).
My family does a fair amount of kayaking/outdoor adventuring and I have used several different setups on the OE roof rack design.

My best suggestion, whatever route you eventually choose, is employing proper tie downs and double checking your attachments' hook-up with the roof cross bars. I'll never forget the time my good friends' father turned out of the parking lot after picking up the boys' and all 4 pairs of skis went flying out across the boulevard.

I've had the following up on the OE roof rails:
- Long cargo carry box (Thule brand)
- 15' tandem kayak (60lbs)
- Long cargo carry box + 15' tandem kayak (pictured below)
- 15' tandem kayak + 12' kayak
- Long cargo carry box + 12' kayak
- 12' kayak
- 12' kayak + 11' kayak
- Long cargo carry box + 11' kayak
- Ski carrier rack (2 pair)
- Ski carrier rack (2 pair) + long cargo carry box

InkedTahoe - Camping June 2021 - Copy2 - Jewett Pond_LI.jpg

Safe Travels!

OP
OP
BauerTahoe

BauerTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the TYForum!

Yes, I currently use the OE roof cross rails. They have a weight limit rating of approx. 150 lbs., though I'm sure I've pushed that a little once or twice.
My Tahoe OE roof rails have 1 forward crossbar location (above front seats) and 2 rear positions (rear passenger seats and about a foot more back towards rear).
My family does a fair amount of kayaking/outdoor adventuring and I have used several different setups on the OE roof rack design.

My best suggestion, whatever route you eventually choose, is employing proper tie downs and double checking your attachments' hook-up with the roof cross bars. I'll never forget the time my good friends' father turned out of the parking lot after picking up the boys' and all 4 pairs of skis went flying out across the boulevard.

I've had the following up on the OE roof rails:
- Long cargo carry box (Thule brand)
- 15' tandem kayak (60lbs)
- Long cargo carry box + 15' tandem kayak (pictured below)
- 15' tandem kayak + 12' kayak
- Long cargo carry box + 12' kayak
- 12' kayak
- 12' kayak + 11' kayak
- Long cargo carry box + 11' kayak
- Ski carrier rack (2 pair)
- Ski carrier rack (2 pair) + long cargo carry box

View attachment 362189

Safe Travels!
Sweet rig! Thanks for the detailed response!

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the “stock luggage rack” and what do you use it for? I took mine off for looks but would like to start using it for travel with the family. I never see any Tahoe users with stock but always aftermarket when having anything up top being used.
I literally only use mine to get my annual Christmas tree from the farm. It’s off the rest of the year and i noticed when I put it back on it’s noisy. So now I prefer it off all the time.

And something about the high arch they have. I don’t like it. Just a preference

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I literally only use mine to get my annual Christmas tree from the farm. It’s off the rest of the year and i noticed when I put it back on it’s noisy. So now I prefer it off all the time.

I go back and forth with keeping my cross rails attached or not. During the warmer months I've tended to leave them attached and remove for winter.
My biggest problem is the 4" lift - with the cross rails attached I literally have only 1/2" of clearance entering the garage; always makes me a little nervous pulling in...

Joeltz

Reaction score

I added the Cross bars before Christmas for Carrying the Christmas tree.
I watched Marketplace ads and saw a Set listed for $50… I met the Guy at Grocery store parking lot 25 miles from My house. He said I could not find the bolts but will look again- I said ok 40$….. WELL The bolts are Special And Chevy Does sell them all 8 for $ 38.00 I got No wind noise don’t notice any gas milage difference AND I like how they Look. I did look at wrecking yards an NONE of them had the cross bars

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do the roof rack caps come off? Anyone have a pic with the rack's removed?

phottomatt

Reaction score
My owner manual (2017 Yukon XL Pg. 123) says weight limit is 220lb, actually it says "Loading cargo on the roof rack that weighs more than 220lb...may damage the vehicle, I guess it's different for GMC and Chevy, or am I looking at the wrong thing? Just curious because I have an 87lb tandem that I'm going to carry. I went with the Yakima bigcatch.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had 300lbs on mine with an XL cargo basket for 200 miles round trip and didn't bend anything. Have an extra set of cross bars now and will add a 3rd the next time I install the basket.

I'd imagine your tandem on big catch mounts should be fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne